Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2007, 10:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Tree Silhouette

I was on Assateague Island this past weekend and took this shot. Comments, suggestions,critique, Please???

11-06-2007, 11:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I find the hardest part of a silhouette is the composition. Not necessarily the subject you intend to silhouette, but what's around the subject. I think that's what's going on here. In order for a silhouette to really turn out great, the subject must be free of elements that distort its shape. After all, because its a silhouette we must rely on its shape to determine what it is. We can tell its a tree from the top half if the silhouette, but its shape (and itself) is lost by the clutter in the lower third of the photograph. I've tried to take a number of silhouettes and come across this same issue all the time.
11-06-2007, 11:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The majority of the lower third of the photograph is a sand dune with some dune grass and shrubs. I dont know if that matters or not.
11-06-2007, 12:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I tend to agree with the first poster. Because at least a third of the image is black... nothing really to the viewer since he doesn't know what it is, it detracts from the subject. And like the first poster, I've failed at making these sorts of shots for the very same reason. Had you been able to capture the entire tree or failing that, a much smaller portion of the tree against the sunset sky (without the large amount of black space), I think it would have been more successful.

11-06-2007, 01:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I agree the above comments. I also think that part of the tree at lower left margin should have been included. It was either out of the composition (not wide enough a lens or being too close?) or it was cropped later on... Silhouettes must be demanding

Last edited by bc_the_path; 11-06-2007 at 01:05 PM. Reason: typing error
11-06-2007, 03:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments
11-06-2007, 04:18 PM   #7
JMR
Veteran Member

Of course silouettes have black. I think a simple crop just below the light part on the left will improve the photo. It will begin with a sliver of black on the bottom left and rise to include just enough hill for a shape. We can then focus on the shape of tree and the gradient hues.

JMR

11-09-2007, 02:14 PM   #8
and
Veteran Member

well, others have said it well already. A siluette is to descibe something based on its outline only. The problem is there is more than one tree, so there is clutter in the siluette, it should be kept simple imo. The sun in the background is very nice, but I would try to avoid the sun itself as it creates a distracting hot highlight. the bottom part is black and not very intersting or contributing, would be better to fill that void with some more blue sky. and also that clutter is hiding most of the good parts of the gradient, which makes it more annyoing and makes you feel like its in the way because you want to see whats behind it.

I would:
- get the camera higher so you have more of the colorfull part of the gradient
- change the angle so you are not shooting straight into the sun, just moving the lens a bit left so the sun is not there is eanough.
- K.I.S.S. , have just 1 single tree, preferably on bare ground with nothing in front or behind it.