Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2011, 06:44 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Little flower
Lens: SMC pentax A 50mm f/1.4 Camera: Pentax K5 Photo Location: Burlington Vermont ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F11 

I was wondering if the composition in this photo works. Do the bits of flower on the left work, or are they distracting and in the way. Can I do anything to improve it (the composition) or the image in general. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by Oso; 02-14-2012 at 04:18 AM.
05-26-2011, 05:27 AM   #2

I vote for being distracting. You can try removing the bits from the picture. The rest is very nice, I like the contrast - yellow/black.
05-27-2011, 02:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oso Quote
I was wondering if the composition in this photo works. Do the bits of flower on the left work, or are they distracting and in the way. Can I do anything to improve it (the composition) or the image in general. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks!
I'd preffer cutting out the lefty flowers, overall I like your photo, the black background is very pleasing and makes a nice isolation effect
05-28-2011, 04:06 AM   #4
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with Pablo.

05-28-2011, 05:27 AM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I too would crop off the flowers on the left and clone out the highly contrasting green streaks of stalk on the left to simplify the image further.
The subject would have been better shot with a deeper DoF and lit more creatively (here the flowers are rendered just a little on the flat side).
Otherwise a pleasant result.
05-28-2011, 04:21 PM   #6
Oso
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
So, my initial vision was the lines of the stems complementing the placement of the flowers, but the little nibbins just wouldn't get out of the way! My Skill at Photoshop stuff is next to nill, but it is a process, right?

So, I did what I could do, although the DOF I will have to live with, but check out the new crop and tell me what you think. On the right track?

Last edited by Oso; 02-14-2012 at 04:17 AM.
05-31-2011, 08:14 AM   #7

Not sure this picture can be saved, given the start-point.

I love the contrast of the yellow against the dark background. The stems too contrast nicely, although they compete with the primary subject.

The final crop, for me at least, works a little better than the original, but not enough to save the picture; the stem across the corner is just too distracting. That, and given the lack of focal depth, I'm not sure what else you can do here.

Still... a really good attempt, and something that could easily be reattempted?

06-02-2011, 02:53 AM   #8

Bei Deinem Bild paßt die Schärfentiefe nicht. Es sind nur 4 Blüten als scharf zu bezeichnen.
M.E. ist das Bild nicht mehr zu retten.