Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Strobe help needed
Lens: Pentax 55-300 Photo Location: York, PA ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 2s Aperture: F27 

I've been playing with high speed flash photography for a while and have gotten some good images but the proximity of the flash makes for some harsh lighting. How can I tame it, particularly with somewhat glossy/reflective subjects like this egg, balloon, tomato, etc. Is it just a matter of making a diffuser such as tissue in front of the flash. I would welcome suggestions from some of you strobists.

Last edited by Workingdog; 08-21-2011 at 12:54 PM.
05-31-2011, 09:15 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, diffusing the light source has an important effect on the way your subject will render.
There are different ways of doing it, softboxes, umbrella or bouncing off nearby walls/ceilings. You can also get dedicated flash diffusers like the Lumisphere or Stofen, but they are harder to control the light source because of light spillage away from the subject area.
06-01-2011, 10:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Workingdog Quote
I've been playing with high speed flash photography for a while and have gotten some good images but the proximity of the flash makes for some harsh lighting. How can I tame it, particularly with somewhat glossy/reflective subjects like this egg, balloon, tomato, etc. Is it just a matter of making a diffuser such as tissue in front of the flash. I would welcome suggestions from some of you strobists.
One problem with doing high speed is that it usually requires using a small fraction of the flash power. I see some shadows in the image, not very good lighting. I've just started doing strobist things so take that into account.

I would suggest using more than one flash and/or side wall reflective surfaces such as mat board or aluminum foil. If you are doing more of the egg onto a flat surface, might consider light from underneath using plexiglass or real glass.

Good luck!