Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2011, 02:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Strobist shots w/ Model
Lens: Samsung 18-55 Camera: K20D Photo Location: Canberra 

Howdy all,
Was out playing last night with Lurch.. another one of those nights where I played mainly Lighting Gaffer and let Lurch shoot on his K7...

I did however get a few off on my K20D... but our model Emma was starting to look pained (it was cold, and we where in a tunnel...) and we were shooting in complete darkness more or less so it was a bit of a chore at times I'm sure as we fumbled about and got stuff setup...

It was fun - and I'd like to have the chance to spend a bit more time taking pics myself - but I didn't want to push our luck with our subject... lol...

Right off the bat - I know I have to get over my MTV-gel-the-hell-out-of-it look... I'm still going through that phase :P

I like the catch-lights, I like the overall light balance.. I should have gotten more headlight though, and could have framed it a lot better I think - at least getting the whole headlight in ..

Much the same as above - this time looking at camera instead of off to the side. I really butchered the indicator...

And this one is probably my 'pick'... I love the smirk... I just can't understand why I stuck a red flash in the background now in hindsight.... lol....

This one I like.. but.. its off.. Its underexposed I think (but fiddling makes it ugly in LR...) or something...

So I think I definitely need to work on my composition... but I'm happy with the results at least I got so far I think. But I would really appreciate some input from others too. Theres about 4 or 5 more at the moment up on http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozadr1an/
Thanks all!

Last edited by adr1an; 06-05-2011 at 02:30 PM.
06-05-2011, 06:01 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Nice shots, my fav is the 1st one.
06-05-2011, 11:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like #1 the best, but yes, the processing leaves a little to be desired...and you're right, most of these are underexposed.
06-06-2011, 12:03 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The first 3 are reasonably well balanced in lighting, but the last one is flat and almost appears as if the main light was not working for that exposure.
The first 3 would have turned out more interesting if one of the main lights were more powerful, creating a more directional texture effect. The background in these shots is good, nicely contrasting with the subject.

06-06-2011, 12:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the input so far guys.

Krypticide: what would you suggest I do differently with processing ? I'm really a babe in the woods - so open to any feedback or suggestions

Ash: Thanks - pretty much 'gels' (lol) with my own critique. And yes, One of the lights didn't trigger on that last one - but i did kind of like the softer look.. When I dialled up the main softbox I found it blew out her skin a little too much ... but in hindsight I did end up a little too much the other way. Would you suggest just moving the softbox back perhaps and bumping it up a notch - or perhaps just zooming it ?
06-06-2011, 12:55 AM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You could do either (increase power or approximate the flash) with relatively similar results, though moving one of the softboxes closer to the model would create a less diffused effect, which can be advantageous in creating stronger contrast and textures. So that'd be what I'd have done.