Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2011, 06:08 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lost in thought
Lens: PENTAX DA* 60-250 Camera: K7 

What's the verdict

Last edited by Schraubstock; 07-24-2011 at 11:43 PM.
06-06-2011, 01:54 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a decent shot, reasonably sharp though doesn't have striking rendition.
The animal's pose isn't all that engaging and the colours seem flat.
A big issue with the portrait is the lighting - totally out of your control, unless you had a reflector to place on the other side, but it has created areas of washing out and bland shadow areas, limiting texture and brilliance.
Otherwise a good shot.
06-06-2011, 09:06 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
It's a decent shot, reasonably sharp though doesn't have striking rendition.
The animal's pose isn't all that engaging and the colours seem flat.
A big issue with the portrait is the lighting - totally out of your control, unless you had a reflector to place on the other side, but it has created areas of washing out and bland shadow areas, limiting texture and brilliance.
Otherwise a good shot.
Hi Ash

Thanks for the comments. Unfortunately the JPG conversion doesn't do it justice. You should see the TIF original.

Particularly in wild life photography shooters look at their pictures often a bit differently because he/she knows the circumstances in which the shot was taken. I did not give any explanations under which this pic was taken when I posted it because I wanted this photo to stand "own its own feet" so to say. Therefor your comments are correct and relate directly to what you are seeing and I indeed appreciate this.

As to the sharpness; This is of course is a pretty severe crop and I thought the sharpness is pretty decent.

Lighting? Well I am a natural light shooter and as you pointed out in these situations one has very little choice to effect corrections. Also please bear in mind this is a wild animal photographed in its natural environment, they are quick moving beasts.

And last but not least I always say: To bring home a good wild life photo one needs three things: 40% skill, 60% light and 100% luck.

Thanks again for any input, I appreciate the criticism otherwise I would not have posted this shot here and I promise to try a bit harder next time.

Greetings
06-06-2011, 09:20 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No worries mate.
As you say, the 100% luck bit means you're off the hook having to 'try harder next time'.
All the best in your future shoots.