Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Broken Land
Lens: 18-55mm Kit Lens Camera: Kx Photo Location: Colorado National Monument ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/150s Aperture: F8 

Here is one of my shots taken last weekend at the Colorado National Monument. Out of all of them I took, I like this one the best. The rest can be found here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/146706-nature-colorado-n...bike-trip.html

06-08-2011, 09:22 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Just my opinion. I like the overall composition of the picture. I like the saturation in background rocks, however the green on the trees seems to be a little over saturated to me. I don't know if that was in camera or if you added some saturation PP. Overall, I like the photo.
06-09-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It was very smokey that day and pretty early. I bumped up the fill light in the RAW processor slightly.

My main problem is my laptop screen that I use for processing my images. It looks fine on this screen, but when I looked at this picture on my shop computer, the greens looked too bright.

I need to find out if I can calibrate my laptop screen somehow.
06-17-2011, 06:46 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The greens look perfect to me. I don't have a calibrated monitor, but have the same problem. When you put your pictures on a public website, people are going to be looking at it with all kinds of monitors, so I'm not sure whether "calibrated" is the same as "average", which is really what you want, I guess.

I have hundreds of scans I have to redo because my old monitors didn't show the highlights as blown out, but all my newer ones do, to varying degrees.

Paul

Paul

06-17-2011, 07:14 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
It was very smokey that day and pretty early. I bumped up the fill light in the RAW processor slightly.

My main problem is my laptop screen that I use for processing my images. It looks fine on this screen, but when I looked at this picture on my shop computer, the greens looked too bright.

I need to find out if I can calibrate my laptop screen somehow.
You are perfectly correct, the problem lies with cheap uncalibrated monitors. You will never get it right unless you invest in a decent colour system.

Mine is a NEC MultiSync PA241W fully calibrated (but there are other good ones that are cheaper). Your picture displays with a horrible yellow cast on my screen. Just look at the sky, I bet it was not yellow.

Sorry I don't try to be obnoxious but try to steer you into investing in some better gear to do your camera investment justice.

And no, I don't think you can colour calibrate a laptop screen, the inbuild graphics card won't allow you to do it.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 07-24-2011 at 11:45 PM.
06-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Actually the sky was very yellow and brown most of that morning due to the heavy smoke. When I woke up, the sky was EXTREMELY dirty looking.
06-17-2011, 10:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

There are several elements in this fine shot that seem to vie for my attention. In particular, I'd like to have seen more of the tree on the left, which is a bit lost against the rocky background. If you'd been able to take it from a lower perspective and had some at least of the branches against the open sky you'd have had a more striking image and a bit more of a focus. As it stands there's almost too much to look at. It's very well done technically but somehow it just misses portraying the intense drama of that spectacular landscape.