Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2011, 01:28 PM   #1

Moon Shot
Lens: DAL 55-300 Camera: Kx ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F11 

Been lurking on the site for almost a year since I got my Kx and have become a better photographer thanks to this community! Also purchased 3 lenses since!

Here's my first attempt at last nights full moon. I think it came out pretty good. I did a tad bit of enhancement of sharpness in Photoshop and cropped it. It was shot at 300mm. Any suggestions for improvement?

Attached Images

06-17-2011, 05:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure if there is a bit of a motion blur or I just don't see it right.You can crop it more so we can see more detail. My moonshot with the same setup I used ISO 400 with 1/400 sec exposure @ f8. Faster shutter speed eliminates motion blur, although you still have to hold it pretty steady. Nice capture BTW, glad you are enjoying the fabulous K-x .
06-17-2011, 06:11 AM   #3
Forum Member

I would go with a more aggressive crop and maybe bump up the exposure a bit. Oddly enough though most people want to go out and shoot the full moon but the next time a crescent or half moon comes up go out and shoot that. You'll see craters and all kinds of cool thing on the edge you wont see with a full moon. I have a K-x too and have been loving it for astrophotography.
06-20-2011, 08:44 AM   #4

Original Poster
Here is a closer crop...@agsy I wonder how come I'm not getting the detail in the craters that you got in your pic? perhaps its the lighting since my pic was of a full moon?

I used a Gorilla tripod on the roof of my car to get this shot, used 2 sec delay to avoid mirror slap. I like the pic but I know I can always improve, thanks for the suggestions.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
06-20-2011, 10:57 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
have you tried using curves? try dropping the shadow a bit and increasing highlights.
06-20-2011, 11:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MeeTsenPu Quote
Here is a closer crop...@agsy I wonder how come I'm not getting the detail in the craters that you got in your pic? perhaps its the lighting since my pic was of a full moon? I used a Gorilla tripod on the roof of my car to get this shot, used 2 sec delay to avoid mirror slap. I like the pic but I know I can always improve, thanks for the suggestions.
You are right, the full moon does not show craters. Your crop is better this time. You could probably improve on your image with a little sharpening and contrast (I use Picasa 3), but that is up to your taste. I dug up an old full moon picture with my DA-L 55-300. The first one is straight out of camera, the second one with a little editing. My exposure was ISO 200, f10, 1/320 sec.

Last edited by agsy; 06-23-2013 at 06:02 AM.
06-21-2011, 07:11 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by agsy Quote
You are right, the full moon does not show craters. Your crop is better this time. You could probably improve on your image with a little sharpening and contrast (I use Picasa 3), but that is up to your taste. I dug up an old full moon picture with my DA-L 55-300. The first one is straight out of camera, the second one with a little editing. My exposure was ISO 200, f10, 1/320 sec.
Nice...Ill give some PP a shot. Next time I take some shots I'll fool around with the shutter speed too. Thanks again!

06-22-2011, 11:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Anything we can help. Post us some photos when you get a chance.