Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2011, 10:57 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Nighttime seaside portrait
Photo Location: Ukraine 

This photo was taken with a N**** PS (gag, cough, I know) before I purchased my K-r. I like this photo very much, but given its parameters from a PS, I don't think I can do much more with it.

However, should the chance arise in the future to replicate this, what comments/critiques can anyone offer to turn it into a winner, composition-wise and technically?

Thanks for looking and for your comments.

Attached Images

06-19-2011, 11:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is not much you can do with this, the whole image is just flat,flat, flat.
Here is a feeble attempt to breathe a little bit of live into it.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 07-24-2011 at 11:45 PM.
06-20-2011, 12:46 AM   #3

Original Poster
I appreciate you taking the time to look and comment. I agree - a bridge too far with a P&S under those conditions. There was just NO natural illumination nor any artificial light nearby. Thus, flash only.

I rue the fact that I didn't have my K-r at the time, but really this was a spur-of-the moment photo before we went in to the see the dolphin show.

Of course, to make it right I would need a tripod, too.

Maybe I'll get the chance to replicate it again someday. She really doesn't mind being in front of the camera. Quite the contrary! ;-)
06-20-2011, 01:26 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lex Madera Quote
I appreciate you taking the time to look and comment. I agree - a bridge too far with a P&S under those conditions. There was just NO natural illumination nor any artificial light nearby. Thus, flash only.

I rue the fact that I didn't have my K-r at the time, but really this was a spur-of-the moment photo before we went in to the see the dolphin show.

Of course, to make it right I would need a tripod, too.

Maybe I'll get the chance to replicate it again someday. She really doesn't mind being in front of the camera. Quite the contrary! ;-)
Hi
Your wife or girlfriend? I am overcome with jealousy :ugh: She deserves better than a PS.

In fact if I was in your neighborhood I would challenge you for a duell; 15 paces, turn around and shoot! I have the K-5 it's faster!

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 06-20-2011 at 02:02 AM.
06-20-2011, 02:44 AM   #5

Original Poster
Ha ha! you've thrown down the gauntlet, and the K-5 to boot! Yes, she's a hottie, but her personality is an acquired taste. She's a tough customer.

She's my fiancee. We're meeting in Vienna next month, I'll try and upload a new photo worthy of her from our time there.

Serious question: How do you feel about the composition? It violates the rules of 1/3Ds essentially, but for me it works. Your opinion?
06-20-2011, 04:03 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lex Madera Quote
Serious question: How do you feel about the composition? It violates the rules of 1/3Ds essentially, but for me it works. Your opinion?
To be honest it's not Pulitzer Prize material.

But wait, there are many photos that people take (including myself) that are solely taken as a record of, the place where you spent your holiday, your first encounter with Santa Claus, your first day out with your girlfriend or when you fell into that fountain in Vienna... Your shot here is one of those photos. This one will go into your album (with many others) and it means nothing to anybody but you (and your now wife) when you look at it at age 80+ and you can say; Look at that, once we were as pretty as a picture, but now only our picture is pretty.

So what I am saying is, not every shot has to be or can be that award winning master piece.
Its a picture for you and if nobody likes it, tough.

I would not even attempt to pass criticism on this your shot here because it is not that sort of picture. I think you understand what I am saying here.

And finally, now I am even more consumed with jealousy with this forthcoming trip of yours to Vienna. Its a great place to visit, I have been there many times. Enjoy and all the best.

Greetings from sunny Melbourne (Well windy today)
06-20-2011, 06:52 AM   #7

Original Poster
Agree completely. I try and carry my K-r with me as much as possible in Vienna, and the P&S is there, too. Sometimes you just want to grab the moment, and it's quicker to whip out the pocket cam than try and use your good camera and risk missing the moment.

The real killer is that P&S has EV adjustment on it, but it was so damn cold that evening, I was not thinking straight. She wanted a seaside photo and no messing around, and then in to see the dolphins.

What is it about women and dolphins? Maybe she's a mermaid at heart. . .

06-20-2011, 08:04 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I'm not really seeing where a kr would have done much better with this, except in terms of noise and maybe shadow detail. But at this size, I'm not sure there's much more to be had without different lighting. It seems like a very good picture to me; I'd just add a little contrast, as in the example provided, and maybe clone out the hair or whatever that is sticking out the top of her head.

Paul
06-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #9

Original Poster
Paul, appreciate you taking the time to look and for your comments. Yes, that's hair. Black see in February is like Cape Cod in February, only harsher. The wind was really whipping that night; maybe you can see it from the waves and foam there at the sea wall and breakers.
06-21-2011, 11:56 PM   #10

What works for me in this shot is the face expression (mischievous mystery). I tried to apply the "national geographic filter" found there: National Geographic Script | GIMP Plugin Registry with The Gimp, in addition to an increased contrast, some crop (right and bottom) and a rotation to the left. Kind of simple enhancement that makes the photograph pops from the family album and impress a bit more.
Attached Images

Last edited by alban; 06-22-2011 at 12:07 AM. Reason: misleading from french word, post processing action missing
06-22-2011, 02:00 AM   #11

Original Poster
Alban, thanks much for your kind comments and editing. It definitely is an improvement over the original. I just downloaded GIMP this week, I may have to go back and play with that to see what I can come up with.
06-22-2011, 02:27 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Given the constraints you had I don't think there is much else you could have done. Without lights and stands and reflectors, any artificial light was going to look harsh as there was nothing to bounce it from to soften it. I've put a napkin over my built in flash before to soften it a bit, but in this situation I doubt there would have been enough power left to light the subject if you'd done that.

However, if you have a tripod next time, I'd ask her to stand really still and use flash and a longer shutter speed - slow speed sync or whatever it's called in the menu. That way her hair will blur a little in the wind, and perhaps the edges of her coat - but she will be sharp. It would also allow you to get a little more detail in the sea so it's clear what is behind her - I'm not sure I would have noticed the sea in your shot had it not been in the title of the thread.

As others have said, a great one for your memories book.
06-22-2011, 05:47 AM   #13

Original Poster
N. Soul, thanks for the comments and suggestions. We'll definitely have to try and reproduce this again with everyone's suggestions when we're near the sea - hopefully not exactly that one in February!