Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2011, 10:38 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Brief Rain storm over the golf course
Lens: Sigma 18-250mm Camera: K-r Photo Location: Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan 

This was after a brief rain storm that just came out of nowhere. It was kind of neat because of the double rain bow.

Attached Images

06-22-2011, 11:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax pete Quote
This was after a brief rain storm that just came out of nowhere. It was kind of neat because of the double rain bow.

It has been a source of wonderment for me for a long time.
Walk into a public place where a television is set up, in the pub, gym or even hotel rooms (hotel rooms are the worse I reckon) and you look at a TV picture that is totally over-saturated.

Faces are as red as a fire alarm box, greens are so bright it would send a caterpillar packing with freight and yellows are so strong it would make a lemon go sour. I don't know what it is, it's the same wherever you go and no country seems to be immune. Why is it that people like these shockingly over-saturated television pictures.

Now I find this trend is starting to spill over into digital photography. There are now plenty of computer programs that make over saturating photographs possible with just a mouse click. It is called HDR now, it is becoming a trend and more and more people do it. I have seen peoples holiday snaps treated this way from the first to the last shot.

I am not saying there is no place for it, occasionally there is but it needs careful consideration before applying it. (Sparingly)

Ah well, at least they don't look different from their TV pictures now.

Sorry I had to get this off my chest, yours is a very nice picture but you ruined it in my opinion.

Greetings
06-23-2011, 06:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I like this, but you might try a little more conservative HDR. Having said that, it's probably pretty close to the impression you had looking at the scene.

Paul
06-23-2011, 11:13 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks Paul, It was pretty close to what I had seen. It was setting sun behind me, and I thought that the HDR would give me the closest representation of what I saw, being able to expose for the Rainbow and the surroundings. It was a bracketted shot. Would you take the picture any other way or process it differently?? Let me know, Thanks.

06-24-2011, 05:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It would be interesting to see the original shots without the HDR treatment. For my taste I think you've over-cooked it, but clearly it's a style that appeals to you and no-one can argue with that. Various commentators have been trying to guide you into what is commonly accepted as "good taste" in photography, and if you were looking to sell any of your work I think you'd be wise to really examine what we're all saying. However, if this is just something you're doing for fun, as a pleasant hobby, then be as over-the-top as you like.
As for this particular picture, it seems a little out of focus to me, especially the trees on the left. I'd also clone out those power poles on the right or even crop in a bit to get rid of them.
06-24-2011, 09:30 PM   #6

Original Poster
original

Here is the original image. Again it was taken in setting sun, so there were lots of shadows.
Attached Images

06-25-2011, 03:21 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax pete Quote
Here is the original image. Again it was taken in setting sun, so there were lots of shadows.

Glad you put up the original rendering of your image. A very nice shot, I like it.
Here is what I would have done to enhance the scenery and I bet this would come close to what you remember about it. This is the sort of light every photographer loves and one has to be lucky to be there when it happens. You were.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 07-24-2011 at 11:47 PM.
06-25-2011, 11:58 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Schraubstock did a nice quick & dirty edit, though contrast is still pretty high. Break this down into layers for sky, grass, etc and adjust manually in photoshop/gimp. You can use a semi-opaque soft light layer to good effect in bringing out the double rainbow I'm sure.