Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2011, 08:11 PM   #1

Tiny ant
Lens: D FA Macro 100mm Camera: K5 Photo Location: Home ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/150s Aperture: F11 

My first try at Macro photos. I've only just cropped this photo, nothing else. It's straight out of the camera. Any hints or tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
Cheers Darren

Name:  Macro ant  (Medium).jpg
Views: 436
Size:  158.6 KB

06-24-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice colour contrast. The relative position of aunt in the shot could be reframed: It seems a little bit 'outside' (too far left) of the frame IMHO...
06-24-2011, 09:38 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Nice colour contrast. The relative position of aunt in the shot could be reframed: It seems a little bit 'outside' (too far left) of the frame IMHO...
That's true, as a macro shot I always feel the rule of thirds does not apply so much, after all the very closeup of the subject matter is the centre of attention. (Or should be).

I am intrigued though, what is this very red timber ?

Greetings
06-24-2011, 10:48 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks guys, Do you think it looks a bit better like this. Schraubstock the timber is a bit of Australian River Red gum .
Cheers Darren

Name:  Tiny ant  (Medium).jpg
Views: 887
Size:  128.3 KB

06-25-2011, 12:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
They are both good, I personally like the 1st better, I think the dirt in the bottom right adds something, but that is purely my opinion.
06-25-2011, 02:53 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by edgedemon Quote
They are both good, I personally like the 1st better, I think the dirt in the bottom right adds something, but that is purely my opinion.

Personal taste for sure. But make a test. Move the slider on you monitor down to put the cropped version on screen and look at it. O.K. wait a moment and now move up and look at the original. You will notice that your eyes dont focus immediately on the ant but on the piece of timber, yet the ant is or ought to be the centre of attention, namely the very reason for the close up macro shot in the first place. I believe a frame filling macro shot is just that a frame filling shot where the object is magnified for closer inspection.

So in my book the cropped version appeals to me more. That's my take of it, but thankfully we are all different.

Greetings
06-25-2011, 05:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a great shot for your first effort! Definitely prefer the cropped version, which also brings out a little more detail in the ant. It's terribly difficult to get all of a moving creature in focus at that level of magnification and I think you've done really well. Did you hypnotise it?

Schraubs, river red gum can really be that red. That's why it's so prized by wood turners.

06-25-2011, 02:29 PM   #8

Original Poster
I tried your test Schraubstock and yes I think your pretty much on the money. My attention was drawn to the wood in the first photo and it's definately drawn to the ant in the second photo. The extra bits add a bit of interest to the photo in the original one but for what I was trying to achieve the second photo is closer to the mark now.
Wombat I think I just got lucky
Cheers Darren