Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2011, 08:56 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Golden Temple Kyoto
Lens: TAMRON SP 24-135 AD Camera: PENTAX K-7 Photo Location: Kyoto ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F8 

Hi

Com on guys let it all hang out, I can take it I have thick skin.
I'll tell you more about this photo later.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 06-27-2011 at 04:31 AM.
06-25-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Bloody hell it doesn't look anything like the one I have on my screen, I had no idea the forum server degrades images this much. It doesn't even look sharp here and the colours are not right either. All the definition is lost, the real gold plated temple does not look golden but yellow, clarity is gone.

Anyway can't do anything about it, don't think I'll post again in future.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 06-25-2011 at 10:15 PM.
06-25-2011, 11:52 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe you should upload to a different server/use a different host? Truthfully, I've never seen sharpness degraded with servers but just different color profiles used (I guess unless you server-side SW resized it...). If that's the case, upload naively to like 800x600 or some web-compatible size.

Anywayyy, framing seems ok!
06-26-2011, 03:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sometimes the browser can produce different colours. Try viewing it with a different browser.

On my old Macbook, the Firefox produced very cold bluey tones, looked really wrong. But Safari was fine.

That said, yes, the picture doesn't look very sharp to me either. But that could also be due to some strange compression. Beautiful temple though, I have a similar pic from the days of film and a cheap EOS.

06-26-2011, 04:29 AM   #5

Nicely framed but I would have used a small Aperture f11 it would have sharpen the image better the colours to me are fine.
06-26-2011, 05:59 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frank44 Quote
Nicely framed but I would have used a small Aperture f11 it would have sharpen the image better the colours to me are fine.
Hi
No, I did not want the foreground overly sharp. Everything else in the original is incredibly sharp.

I also think the browser hasn't got anything to do with it. I do a lot of critical colour work and have all the calibrated gear to do it. I have uploaded a number of images elsewhere on this forum and while not perfect they have not been as bad as this one.

Greetings
06-26-2011, 06:11 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I don't know what caused the issues with colour and sharpness, but in terms of composition the tree at the top has slightly obscured the top of Kinkakuji and the azalea (I think) at the bottom of the frame obscures the reflection. I find the dark branches at the top draw my eye away from the subject instead of simply framing it. Having said that, it's a different angle and you've managed to avoid getting any people in the frame which is an achievement considering how popular Kinkakuji is. Do you have it viewable somewhere else where it's sharp? I'd like to see how much difference that makes.

This one of mine is a more cliche shot which I've quickly tweaked. Brightened and removed the yellow colour cast but now the shrine is slightly blown out.

Last edited by RobG; 06-26-2011 at 06:25 AM.
06-26-2011, 06:12 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I will upload once more with a different setting.

Last edited by Schraubstock; 06-27-2011 at 04:29 AM.
06-26-2011, 06:26 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
I will upload once more with a different setting.
Strangely, the second version looks sharper in places but not uniformly.
06-26-2011, 06:29 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
This photo was chosen from some 500 submissions and I am just about to relinquish copy rights to it. (As soon as I have received payment).
Half your luck - both for visiting Japan a lot and making money from photographing it! I wish I could do the same. Your customer likes the photo so at the end of the day, that's all that matters.