Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2011, 08:09 PM   #1
Unregistered User

Latest Astro Photos

Here is my latest trial of astro photos.
i finally got out camping this weekend for canada day and went to palisar park sk.

Just looking for tips to help focus on stars.
I think I have the iso and exposure better now. ( from first posts )

But I would like a much sharper image?

The viewer and eye spot are useless at this ?

Thanks all!

JESSE

Attached Images

07-03-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't tell what your exposure info is but it looks like you went long exposure. It could stand some cleaning or at the very least a white balance correction (I use Tungsten).. Use Infinity for your focus. Here's a 30 second f2.8 shot from a K7 at ISO 100.

This isn't out in the middle of the country either, there is plenty of light pollution around. The lens was a Pentax A50mm f1:1.2.

You can see more of this type stuff here.

The Heavens - a set on Flickr

For the most part, EXIFs should be in tact.

07-03-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
krp
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Jeff gave you some good tips. What lens and settings were you using? If your lens doesn't have infinity focus marked, then use live view. Zoom in and try to focus on a bright star. Also divide 600 with the focal length you are using and that will tell you how long a shutter speed you can use without getting trailing.
07-03-2011, 09:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krp Quote
Also divide 600 with the focal length you are using and that will tell you how long a shutter speed you can use without getting trailing.
Handy tip! Been fiddling with some star-scene time-lapse on my K20D... For clarity, Is that actual focal length, or 35mm equivalent ?

07-03-2011, 09:17 PM   #5
krp
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote
Handy tip! Been fiddling with some star-scene time-lapse on my K20D... For clarity, Is that actual focal length, or 35mm equivalent ?
I think it's actual focal length. Whatever it says on the lens.
07-03-2011, 09:38 PM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Here is mine on a K5, 16-50mm, F2.8, 6400 iso, time 20 seconds, 21 seconds interval, no post processing, JPG assembled in Lightroom 3 for a video, shot in Abitibi, Vaudray Lake, P. Quebec:
Voie lactée, juin 2011 au lac Vaudray
07-04-2011, 03:51 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

If you don't have a K5 and you want to get stars without star trails, you'll need to find a piece of software to stack multiple images. I haven't actually tried stacking myself but if you do a web search you should be able to find some great examples.

A wide angle lens (around 28mm equivalent) and an exposure of less than 30 seconds shouldn't show much in the way of motion.

However, I kind of like the effect of the motion. This image was from my K200 with DA 16-45 at f4 and 16mm with an exposure a tad over 131 seconds. Looking toward the south celestial pole.

PS As suggested above, you ought to be able to focus on a bright star. Do it manually - AF won't work in the dark! If you manually adjust the focus either side of what is sharp, you should be able to find the right setting.

Last edited by RobG; 07-04-2011 at 03:55 AM. Reason: additonal info
07-04-2011, 01:57 PM   #8

I notice on my camera the auto focus stops just short of all the way to left when it focuses on infinity. So when I shoot stars I switch it in manual focus and put the focus in that same spot. I went camping this weekend too and took some star shots mine are up in the post your photo category.