Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2011, 04:30 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Seaweed
Lens: D-Xenon 50-200 Camera: Samsung GX20 Photo Location: Conwy, Wales ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/10s Aperture: F16 

Really not sure if this works or not, I'd be glad of any comments. Jen

Attached Images

07-07-2011, 02:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Landscape Seaweed

QuoteOriginally posted by Jen Quote
Really not sure if this works or not, I'd be glad of any comments. Jen
Hi Jen
I think the pictures are technically quite good but artistically they could be improved.
One problem is that there are two points of interest. There's the seaweed covered log in the foreground and the boat in the top right.
Maybe read up on the "Rule of Thirds". If the boat was one third in from the right and one third down from the top, making it more the focal point, then the image may be more interesting? It would have brought more water into the background and given the image more balance. The seaweed itself is a bit overwhelming - maybe even boring on the eye?
It may also be an interesting exercise to keep the boat in colour and switch the rest of the image to black and white, as an experiment. That may well enhance the texture of the seaweed by accentuating the contrast.

Always remember that the difference between a technically great photograph and an artistic masterpiece is a very fine dividing line. Every photographer, irrespective of their equipment, experience or skill, is always searching for that elusive goal. Its never easy to find and very often is attained accidentally by almost weird or radical cropping or post-processing. Never be afraid to look at your image from a completely different perspective - but be sure that you experiment with a copy and never your original photograph.

Keep up the good work and I really look forward to seeing some more pictures from you.
07-07-2011, 04:02 AM   #3
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I prefer the second image to the first.
However, regarding the first image, you might want to try cropping up from the bottom, perhaps to a point just above the wet area at lower left.
I, too, look forward to seeing more of your photographs.
Best wishes.
07-07-2011, 01:46 PM   #4
Jen

Original Poster
Thank you both very much, some interesting points, I will have another go at it. Jen

07-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I like the 2nd picture, but I'm not sure that most of the left side adds that much. Maybe a vertical crop of just the right side would work better.

Paul
07-08-2011, 12:29 PM   #6
Jen

Original Poster
Had another go at it, what are your thoughts on this one? Jen
Attached Images

07-09-2011, 04:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Another Perspective

Hi Jen

Your latest pic is, I think, better because there is not the overwhelming view of seaweed and the driftwood tree trunk is now more of the focal object. There is also a better balance between land and sea.

For my personal taste (which may be different to yours) I would like to see more warmth in the picture and more of the boat. That red buoy is a real eye-catcher and just keeps drawing my attention to that boat!

For that reason, I took the liberty of editing your photo to show another possible crop and a bit more warmth using a skylight filter in photoshop. I also sharpened up parts of the image. Maybe you like it and maybe you don't - it is just to give you a fresh perspective.

Attachment 96913

Last edited by Anton Magus; 07-11-2016 at 08:59 AM.