Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Desert Rose
Lens: Pentax-m 50mm F1.7 Camera: K-x Photo Location: Carlsbad, CA ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/10s Aperture: F4 

Been working on some closer shots of flowers with a hopefully interesting composition and OOF area. What do you guys think?

Last edited by ryant; 08-18-2011 at 12:42 PM.
08-17-2011, 03:30 PM   #2

No image. I guess you got fed up and deleted it.
08-18-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
woops! dunno where it went to?! but i fixed it.
08-18-2011, 01:16 PM   #4

I think its a good shot . . . of leaves. The flowers will come later

Its a lovely looking specimen though. I have something similar in my garden in spain.

08-18-2011, 03:48 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice composition and subtle colors, with just enough highlighting on the foreground plant(s?). I think this would be improved with a shallower DOF to blur the background more. Possibly moving a little closer to the subject also.
08-18-2011, 04:56 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It lacks an impacting point of interest. The perspective is plain and doesn't give the viewer much to hone in on or be captivated by. Perhaps coming in closer with a ground level viewpoint, as well as playing around with ambient lighting can really help spruce up this type of nature imagery.
08-20-2011, 07:03 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the critiques! It seems a lot of my shots are lacking a clear focus point/subject. I gotta start figuring out how to get those in my shots. Sometimes its hard with lanscape (that and just general nature photography are my favorites). Unless there is a cool building or rock formation etc, there isn't much but the scene itself.

08-20-2011, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #8

Your picture does have a clear focus point/subject, but it's lost in the rest of the image. It just needs some help.

Sometimes, a little post-processing goes a long way to redeeming an otherwise less than perfect picture, if you can see a picture within the picture.

I've had a play. I hope you don't mind. This took about 2 minutes in Picasa. A crop, sharpened a bit, added the soft focus effect. Job done.

Last edited by mannesty; 08-29-2011 at 09:21 AM.
08-26-2011, 06:56 AM   #9

Or to be completely outrageous . . .

Last edited by mannesty; 08-29-2011 at 09:21 AM.
08-28-2011, 06:19 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Sorry, been out of town on vacation!

I definitely think that is a really interesting edit on the image!! It certainly gives it a clearer focus point with the one "flower" being sharp. Im not sure i'm sold on the colors but it really does make the image stand out! Thanks for putting the time into working on it . Once I get back home and near my computer i'll play with it some more!
08-29-2011, 09:21 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by ryant Quote
Sorry, been out of town on vacation!

I definitely think that is a really interesting edit on the image!! It certainly gives it a clearer focus point with the one "flower" being sharp. Im not sure i'm sold on the colors but it really does make the image stand out! Thanks for putting the time into working on it . Once I get back home and near my computer i'll play with it some more!
Oops. I made a mistake and overwrote my original edit with the later one, which is why they now both look the same. I'll see if I can get it back.

EDIT: Sorted. Have a look at my first effort again.
08-30-2011, 05:15 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Nice! I definitely like the first edit! I think the color cast on the second is a little out there for a nature shot but i think it makes for an interesting abstract. I'm hoping I get some time tonight to go over that shot again and hopefully post up some more I took recently.