Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2011, 10:00 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Well she is an absolutely stunning model so that makes everything a lot easier !

I don't want to cover what other people have said so I'll just say that lighting is key of course and these look a little too bland IMO - as in the lighting isn't helping any by being too flat. Think you really need to get some shoot-throughs or reflectors.

I also think you should go with MF especially of your AF is struggling as you mentioned.

And finally the scene is going to make any shot struggle ! If you don't have a room you can convert into a temporary studio or can't find a private location to shoot then just get yourself a few metres of a neutral cloth as a backdrop and a couple of 8 feet high stands to drape it from. Then you can add props as you wish.

And for the model, more low DoF shots with a sparkle in her eye !

07-12-2011, 11:34 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
I'm still learning myself, but probably the strobist is a good source, and I'm currently reading "Chasing the Light" by Ibarionex Perello. It's rather repetitive, but he really makes the point that it's all about the light. Very enlightening, no pun intended!
07-12-2011, 12:30 PM   #18
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Watch the eyes, they can make or break a portrait.

There also seems to be some vignetting at the lower right, possibly due to weak light levels.

It looks like there is dirt on her heel in the first shot.
07-12-2011, 01:24 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
you should create a softer background. more bokeh! also the set could be better. right now it looks like a girl sitting on a scraped bench in someone's apartment.

do you use photoshop? i think they would look better with some dodging and burning to really bring out the light and shadows.

07-12-2011, 02:18 PM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
Frogfish, Lex, K9 and Hockmasm, thanks all for your feedback!

Frogfish- What is a shoot through? I will look into the possibility of a background sheet! Thankyou

Lex-Will check out the book and maybe buy! -Is the strobist a website??

K9 -Vignetting is due to flasj from the left and low lighting. foot is dirty! I have a photoshopped foot version which is nicer, but only noticed after I had uploaded it!

Hockmasm -more bokeh should be doable with my 50mm 1.7 prime, probably need to use a tripod and torch to ensure it is properly sharp though. The fact is that it is a girl sitting on a scrapped bench! Can I keep the honesty of the shot without making it appear non-real?? Sounds a bit odd I guess, but I want to take a great shot of what is there. Got an email? I can send you the original file to have a go at on PS if you like?

Thanks everyone, I think I need to reflect now!

Cheers

Paul
07-13-2011, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Paul,

Shoot-through - translucent umbrella Amazon.com: JTL 33" White Translucent Shoot Through Photo Studio Umbrella: Camera & Photo

See other umbrella options too Amazon.com Bestsellers: The most popular items in Photographic Lighting Umbrellas

BTW - with the background sheet, it needs to be an L shape with the model actually standing on the cloth (so you need some masking tape to keep it positioned on the floor).
07-13-2011, 01:19 PM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Frogfish, you are a legend! Am getting excited now as I have a couple of outdoor shoots coming up Any tips????

Paul

07-13-2011, 01:38 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 10speeduk Quote
Thanks Frogfish, you are a legend! Am getting excited now as I have a couple of outdoor shoots coming up Any tips????

Paul
Yep. Start a new thread with details of the shoot and a list of your lenses and ask for tips !
07-14-2011, 09:10 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Hey hey.

I love your setup there, the posing is great, the model expression and outfit is great.
- Composition could use some work, dont cut things halfway...cut them all the way or leave them there .
- Background...if you have to have that background, make sure they look seamless and continuous. So the folds and all have to be right, and hopefully reaching the ground.
- The PP on the first picture makes her look a little gray...sickly. Also, as people noted, a little off focus in the face maybe. I would stick to manual focusing if you are in studio and can use a tripod.
- The PP on the second picture looks great! I think it fits the mood and doesnt look too underexposed. Again, i would increase the temperature a little bit on those colours.
- Honestly, with the theme you were going i think going minimalistic with lighting is fine. Your lighting is soft and controlled no harsh shadows. The second shot is a great shot if you didnt cut her fingers, i think. And take away that little table near her foot.
07-15-2011, 01:14 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
#2 is a great shot. She looks natural, and comfortable; if she was only looking at you a bit more.

The table at the right is distracting; but the curtain and the bench are good IMHO.
The light seems fine for the "casual" shot but a second light from the right (softened) could have improved the shot.
07-19-2011, 05:24 AM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
D4rkness and titrisol, thanks for your feedback I can only agree with you both. I am glad I have things I can improve for the nxt shoot. I have a reflector, so maybe can use in lieu of a 2nd light source. Yeah, she does look a little unwell in the 1st shot...! Will hopefully resolve in the nxt shoot. Thanks for taking the time to comment. Paul
07-19-2011, 06:27 AM   #27
Forum Member

you could have added the pop up flash (don't laught!) to add a bit of light and a highlight in her eyes.
07-24-2011, 06:55 AM   #28
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Name:  model.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  140.3 KB

not sure if this is any good but that photo looked really dark to me. boosted brightness and de-saturated a little to soften the look.
07-27-2011, 10:09 AM   #29
axl
Veteran Member

#2: you cut off her fingers on right hand and it seems that left hand is touching bench behind her, unfortunately the fingers are visible under her legs and it doesn't really look good there IMO. And as others have said, the background is messy.

#1 is great pose of beautiful model but again as others have said you can't see her eyes. And if I personally have to nit pick, I love the pose and look and all but the outline off the bra doesn't work with the exposed shoulder....should have been without bra...
07-27-2011, 04:00 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Beautiful model. Just a bit dark and can't see her eyes, like everyone else mentioned. I would further add, if possible, move her further away from the backdrop/curtains and use a larger aperture. I see you're shooting with the kit lens (at 35mm?) and realize f5.6 is ideal for sharpness, but model portraits don't need to be super sharp. Else you'd spend too much time removing blemishes in post unless she has fabulous skin.

Moving the model away from the background should help blur the background more (you may need to move too) since the depth of field would change. It's not necessary to have the background sharp if the focus is on showcasing the model.