Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2011, 09:09 PM   #1

Nighttime contemplation
Lens: 18-55 DA-L Camera: K5 Photo Location: Gault Reserve, QC ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: >6s Aperture: F5.6 

I took this image Saturday as I was hiking at the Gault Reserve, near Montreal. I feel like I could have taken a spectacular image but for a variety of reason did not. I hope you can help me find what I did wrong so that I can improve myself and hopefully capture a better image next time!

Right now I only have the DA-L 18-55mm but I have ordered the DA15 limited, DA40 limited and the DFA100 macro WR so that will probably help a little bit next time! Oh and I'm sorry if I made a very obvious mistake, I've only had my K5 for a week and a half and it is my first DSLR so I'm still new to all this...

Attached Images

07-12-2011, 12:50 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shot.

For a kit lens, I think that the photograph is nice. A good prime lens (eg FA Ltd or DA Ltd) could help, but you can do already a lot with a simple kit lens.

Practically I think that some simple PP (eg using PDCU) would help to improve the outcome and get more 'nuances' (in French in the text').

Thank you for sharing.
07-13-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
Forum Member

The image seems to have a orange/purple haze. I think you should darken the blue channel to make the sky a deeper blue and possibly lighten the red channel slightly to maintain the colour of the clouds.

Also the star trails seem a little messy, IMHO you should either go for some nice long streaks or use a faster shutter speed to eliminate them.

Nice image though, it's very serene and calming.