Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2011, 04:22 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Magpie
Lens: DAL 55-300 Camera: K-7 Photo Location: Melton, Victoria, Australia ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/1000s Aperture: F5.6 

While taking some sports action shots, this White Backed Magpie alighted on the fence just metres away. Without any time to think or reshoot this is the result. I was initially quite pleased but once I got it to the computer I found a total loss of detail in the white. No amount of PP can produce any detail at all so the problem is clearly in the exposure. Any suggestions on how to quickly assess a suitable exposure to capture intense black and brillaint white without losing detail?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
07-18-2011, 05:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Switch to Spot Metering and meter off of the White on the bird rather than leaving it in Pattern Metering - That should expose for the white properly with detail.. Use the AE-L button if you need to in Av/P modes etc.. I tend to use M Mode with the Green Button set to TV Shift, which basically gives me Av Mode without worrying about exposure values changing unless I press the Green Button again (and necessary with M-Lenses anyway...)
07-18-2011, 07:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi Bruce,

An easy way to check if you will have detail in your highlights is by quickly viewing the histogram after the shot. If you see the highlights hitting against the edge of the right side of the histogram, they will most likely be blown - resulting in loss of detail.
07-19-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the excellent suggestions. I have to find my "model" again and put it all into practice.

07-24-2011, 08:09 AM   #5

It's a fine shot.
The bird posed for you!

Face it, you're hamstrung to produce detail in shadow or highlight areas on an either black or white bird.
You either get one end or the other, not both.
*Detail in shadow areas is always more desirable actually.

Consider the percentages- how much of the image is 'lost' in detail -vs- what the balance 'tells' a viewer. You got a winner- simple as that.
If it's such a big deal, in P-shop grab a little lasso full from under the tail area, make a new layer, and drop it in -flipped and scaled- to show in the back there (see example below) It ends up being a gradient mostly- but, if you're looking for feather detail, there's really none there.

Center weighted or spot meter won't do you any good either- because all you're gonna get is either of two extremes.
Spotting on the white will get you a nice, dark photo- that you can -possibly- mess with in P-shop.
Don't waste your time- that bird is gonna fly before you get it done.

The histogram is going to show that you've got content at both ends of the scale, and some in the middle (that background stuff.)
If those levels are about the same, then you have something to work with after the fact.
And whoosh- there's goes the bird by the time you get to looking through the viewfinder to get the shot.

Depending upon the camera, bracket exposure capability is the shortest path to getting at least one good 'take' in a string of shots of the same subject. Or, take bits and pieces of the sequence and past it together for the 'look' you seek.

In a pinch, you can meter for near gray card accuracy for the same light falling on the subject by using the back of your hand. Just AEL that reading, then recompose for subject and get your shot.

The meter is set up to calculate exposure based on 18% reflectance- and your hand (or grass, for that matter) will suffice.
That's for Caucasian skin color- of course. If you're not white or have a lousy tan- meter off grass if it's available-- or any light gray source that is nearby.

FWIW- I don't need the detail in the white.
The background has fallen off nicely, the rail he is perched upon is just enough to leave adequate impression on a viewer.
What does more detail in the white get you? Not much.
It's fine like it is.

If you had burst on, you could have grabbed a shot of him launching.
Birds in flight are excellent images- and, at 1/1000th you would have obtained a nice one.
I think on the K7 you're two clicks from switching to burst mode.
Thanks for sharing.
Attached Images

07-25-2011, 03:32 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks again to all respondents. I have had another look at the picture in the light of Theosixx's suggestions. Eventually I converted to black and white, adjusted the lighting somewhat and used the burn tool to bring out a little detail . Much improved I think
Attached Images

07-25-2011, 05:24 AM   #7

There ya go- that does it for me.
It helps with the legs and feet too. They were kind of middling with the background before.
Nice job!

(Thnx for comment on the other shot- I tired messing with that reflection from a window on the right- but it just didn't work well. I'll take another shot at it someday.)

08-22-2011, 12:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice pic. Bird shots my favourite! Like the B/W image most.