Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-27-2011, 02:53 AM - 1 Like   #1

Asian Incense Burner
Lens: SMC-A 50mm f/2 Camera: K20D Photo Location: home ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/10s Aperture: F2 

I took the shot some time ago, processed it, and yeah. I dunno what to say.

07-27-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That is cool, where did you take this?
07-27-2011, 09:12 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An intriguing object. When I first saw this it screamed depth of field, but somehow I was not comfortable in critiquing on that score. Having another look at it, my reaction is still depth of field but how much is appropriate and on what part of the object to focus? Somehow I feel if the whole thing was sharp it would lose much more than it would gain. Should one focus on the ball, the dragon's head on the left , the smoke, the dragon on the right lower section all of the above or none of the above. There is probably no "right" answer. I like it as it is.
07-27-2011, 09:30 PM   #4
SPO

Original Poster
to kenafei - It was taken at home.

to Bruce - It was difficult to focus on one thing without losing focus on something else, due to its shape. Do you think I should have shot with smaller aperture?

07-27-2011, 10:09 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is such a complex piece. Certainly a smaller aperture would have given you greater depth of field but as you say where to focus and how much of this should be in sharp focus? A smaller aperture would also lead to a longer time exposure and what would that do to the smoke? I do not think the whole thing should be in sharp focus you would lose the air of mystery. Perhaps you could experiment with different apertures and focal points and see what works. The more I look at this the more I like it as it is.
07-28-2011, 01:29 PM   #6
SPO

Original Poster
Okay, thanks Bruce!
07-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Indeed, this image needed more depth of field, and I'm not certain about the framing of the subject here as it doesn't seem to capture the essence of this incense burner. There isn't enough context in it to tell the story so to speak. But otherwise a good capture.

07-28-2011, 10:34 PM   #8
SPO

Original Poster
So I'm guessing I should move back or zoom out to capture more of the incense burner. I think that may have what was bothering me every time I look at it(next to the lack or depth of field). Thanks for Ash!