Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2011, 03:12 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pictures of my little sister
Lens: Pentax-F 50mm f/1.7 Camera: K-X Photo Location: Backyard ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F2.4 

Aperture and shutter speed were variable.. Would like some constructive criticism please

Rachel - a set on Flickr

Attached Images

Last edited by SirJangly; 08-05-2011 at 03:20 PM.
08-05-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think she is too far to the side. A vertical crop using the right half of the image might help.
08-05-2011, 03:34 PM   #3

Original Poster
Please look at the album I linked Let me know of any you like.
08-05-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I second that. Since she is isolated to the right and the top left background is quite a bit lighter and sparkly it only leads my eye away. Maybe if a little fill light had brought her up a little in contrast to the background it would be different ?

Eric

08-05-2011, 03:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

#9676 really works well for me

Eric
08-05-2011, 07:10 PM   #6

I think my favorite is 9664 though I would consider airbrushing a little bit of the greenery off of her face, mainly the one that is crossing her cheek.
08-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the constructive criticism so far guys This was my first time doing this, so I am grateful you all have been gentle :P

08-06-2011, 03:31 AM   #8
smf
Pentaxian

You have posted some very nice photos.
My favorites are 9656 and 9676. The poolside photo might be improved if you use software to reduce the intensity of the sunlight on your sister's hair. (If you reshoot at the same time of day, you might try using a diffuser However, in that case, I would strive to have a highlight in your sister's eyes.)
In a future modeling session, you might suggest use of less intense eye makeup unless your sister strongly prefers that look.
I would avoid having vegetation in front of any part of the model's face.
Please note that I am not a commercial portrait photographer.
Best wishes.
08-06-2011, 03:42 AM   #9

9656 for me. Great job!
08-06-2011, 04:54 AM   #10

with some correction (the left side of Rachel's face seems washed out), 9655 is my favorite. Very expressive and great eyes.
08-10-2011, 12:01 AM   #11

Quite a few photos to give any real critique on, if you picked maybe 1 or 2 we could critique a little more specifically however,
Those all look very good for a first shoot! Working with a model, whoever it is can be tricky the first few times. Personally my favorite is #9650 because of the "natural expression". I think that is one of only a couple where she doesn't look "posed". I don't mean to sound like I'm giving you a hard time for that hehe, its still something I'm working on as well, trust me. Directing a model is tough, and just takes practice and a LOT of time examining photos from pros, that's me at least, I try to have a least a few shots pre-visualized before I shoot, so I can direct them to do exactly what I want, and evoke confidence; remember you are the director. I think to make these photos really stand out some even basic post processing is really required, that will bring them up to where they belong. Technically speaking most look very good to me, just a tad bit underexposed for skin tones overall, but I would correct that in post processing; better to do it then than lose data. Also, really watch your focus, I spotted a couple that were very out of focus, and then a few that were a tad soft, which is "okay" if its going on Facebook or something, but if you want them to look great, focus has to be spot on; tack sharp, no exceptions. Unless of course you are getting creative, however thats a whole different story Good colors though, and your sister looks great in these, very good first shoot, keep shooting, can't wait to see more! Oh and, if you want to see more portrait work, check out modelmayhem, this site is good, but that one is specifically for fashion and portraits if that's more what you want to see. Best of luck
08-10-2011, 12:34 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The specific shot you posted here: the composition works for me. But the out of focus area, which you obviously wanted to have unfocused to isolate her against the background, is rather busy and draves too much attention. I would have expected the 50/1.7 to have smoother bookeh than this (has the A version with the same optics), but maybe it was difficult light. Pretty sister by the way. You have a good model to work with there.
08-10-2011, 12:46 AM   #13
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Along with the previous suggestions, I'd also concentrate on having the pretty subject engage more with the camera, which would entice the viewer to look deeper into the portrait and not leave any doubt as to what the focal point of the image is.