Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2011, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

1st Try strobe outside portrait
Lens: SMC-A 28mm Camera: K5 Photo Location: Back Garden ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F2.8 

Hi all, I am learning outdoor strobe with portrait.

This shot is the best after a lot of moving the flash around and altering the power etc... I am aware the pose etc is poor. It was just an off the cuff shoot so I can learn. The shot was taken in lowish light.

I used a Metz 58 AF-2 on 1/64 power approx 100cm from model face at head height and a gold reflector angled up to the camera's left. -The idea was to try and remove the shadow from the models RH side of her face.

Initial shots were quite white in colour due to the flash, so I changed the white balance to 'Sunny' to warm up the light.

This is straight off the camera with no processing. I want to know how I can remove shadows under the nose and chin. Also what other things I can do to improve the picture in this type of scenario?

Thanks

Paul

Attached Images

08-10-2011, 03:08 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I can't visualize the flash placement versus the reflector placement (i.e. Is the flash shooting into the reflector? It doesn't appear so) but the easiest way to remove shadows is to get rid of directional light.
Bounce the flash off a wall, or use a softbox. The reflector probably won't do you much good if there isn't ambient light bouncing off it or the flash is being bounce of of it.

Something you could try is to try this shot when there is more light, then use the natural light to your advantage and use fill flash or reflector to lift the shadows.
It really depends on the look you're going for.

Alternatively, you may be able to drag the shutter longer to lift the shadows. If the shutter speed becomes too long, you can turn up the ISO. Just a thought.

Seeing as I haven't posted any portrait work here (nor will I lie and say that I have done portraiture work), please take my advice as a smaller-than-average grain of salt.
08-11-2011, 01:14 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks tackyat I have yet to try using natural light as the main light then flash as fill, will give it a go. Thanks Paul
08-13-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
New attempt tonight, would love to get some feedback so I can improve for nxt time...

2nd strobe on the way so should have more options nxt time also...
Girl in the red dress
by The Paul Reid, on Flickr

Thanks

Paul

08-19-2011, 07:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try on a bright afternoon to have your model stand with her face half and the sun and practice moving the reflector to get rid of shadows... your second flash will help too... that way you can get rid of some of the shadows in the neck and such for a less dramatic look... or else get a large difusser for your one flash now and soften the light...
08-19-2011, 03:40 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Cheers icy warm. Have a shoot in a couple of days so will try thattechnique out.
08-25-2011, 10:25 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Hey hey...

For the shadows - you will have to bounce that flash somehow. You can try Rogue Flash bender, gary fongs, DIY tupperware, portable softbox for speedlights....but if you fire directly at the subject, shadows will be harsh.
I would also consider taking the flash off the camera if you havent done so.

Personally, I dont think you wanna remove shadows completely..as thats what gives your subject dimension....you just want to make sure it doesnt form a harsh straight line the way it does now.