Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ban belly dancer?
Lens: 28-75 Camera: K2000 Photo Location: Birmingham, AL ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F2.8 

Hi,
This pic shows one of the events at the 'Alabama Tornado Victims Relief Fund-Raiser' Event. I wanted to post this among others to remember the event.

However there was much discussion about whether the lady with the pot-belly took away from the picture or not? [Too big a belly, embarassing etc were the comments:ugh:] Some felt that I should crop/erase the lady in the back out. Or use one of the other pictures I have with just the slim belly dancer in it. But the best one I have does not have a good profile of the face. I was only planning to get the computer guy out and use this one. Plus it would be too complicated to get the lady in the back out too. Comments welcome:

Last edited by psychdoc; 11-14-2015 at 03:36 PM.
08-11-2011, 06:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Edit: One mistake in the posting. The lens was the Pentax 50-135, not the Tamron 28-75
08-11-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The railing in the background's a bit distracting as well, so I think you really can't be too picky about the background elements of the photo. It is a great pic of the belly dancer.

As for the larger lady in the background - she obviously had the self confidence to go to that event with her body as it is... So I'm not sure why anyone else's opinions on whether or not it's embarrassing matters. I don't think she's embarrassed, so I don't see why anyone should be for her. The contrast between the two dancers and the happy expression of the woman in the background is great. I'd leave her in and not worry about her shape - are we only supposed to take pictures of thin pretty people? Because that's really not what the majority of America looks like lately and there's way too many young girls with eating disorders that are reinforced by the attitude of people who think the 2nd woman shouldn't be in the background of that photo.
08-11-2011, 06:53 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I don't really care about the condition of the lady in the background, however the background is plenty distracting. Personally, I would crop for the main subject and darken the background in post.

08-11-2011, 07:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

She looks like an Indian (India) Goddess. They both do, but the body contrast is nice actually, very real, and I like them.
08-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well...it's belly dancing, and that certainly is a belly.
What rule is it that says "Always be aware of your background"?
You've got a dilemma there.
Personally, I'd crop on what you need for the image.
I'll go and do some PS and see what I'd come up with.
08-11-2011, 07:50 PM   #7
MJL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I actually like the contrast in posture, body shape & expression among these 2 ladies. A big applause to them for doing it for a good cause!

The black railing & computer guy are very distracting though.

08-11-2011, 07:58 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, here is my 20 minute photoshop.

With more time and knowing the output - web/print/size, I could take more time.
08-11-2011, 10:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Just a suggestion; if you are going to crop out the lady in the background, some leading room on the right might me nice ot have. This way, the viewer will have more of a sense of the dancer moving in space, as opposed to being constricted by it.
08-12-2011, 04:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice. I am going to leave the other lady in. Take out the computer guy and the railing. Thanks LaurenOE for the 20 minute photoshop too. It looks nice with just the one belly dancer but the atmosphere of 'being there' is better when both are in.

This is not for print. Just to put up on a website for the organizers. So it did not have to be too professional looking.
08-12-2011, 02:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Just to put up on a website for the organizers. So it did not have to be too professional looking.
For that purpose I would think they would want both ladies in the shot. Not everyone can have the body but everyone can have the fun.