Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2007, 03:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Curious Doe Repost for Critique

This shot was first posted in the "Post your photos!" section. I decided to reprocess it and repost here hoping to get some additional technical feedback. This version has a more neutral white balance and has been cropped to hopefully provide a bit better composition than the original.

What do you think? Does the white balance look OK? The composition? What else could I do to improve this shot?

Thanks,
Scott

11-26-2007, 03:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

White balance looks fine, colour looks good, sharpness is tack, focus is locked. The only way to improve this image is to reshoot it in the studio LOL.

If you want to spend some time in PS working on this the only fixes would be to clone out that small plant by the left ear of the doe and then use a lens blur effect on the background and foreground to really make it stand out. I'd also boost the contrast a bit to make it pop. Hope that helps and it's a great shot!
11-26-2007, 06:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the white balance and focus is fine. The deer is looking about ready to bolt.
11-26-2007, 07:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
White balance looks fine, colour looks good, sharpness is tack, focus is locked. The only way to improve this image is to reshoot it in the studio LOL.

If you want to spend some time in PS working on this the only fixes would be to clone out that small plant by the left ear of the doe and then use a lens blur effect on the background and foreground to really make it stand out. I'd also boost the contrast a bit to make it pop. Hope that helps and it's a great shot!
Thanks for the confirmation that I'm on the right track with my PP Chris! I was really struggling with the white balance. I think I'll give your PS suggestions a try.

Scott

11-26-2007, 07:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by weatherwise2 Quote
I think the white balance and focus is fine. The deer is looking about ready to bolt.
Thanks for your confirmations on the white balance and focus weatherwise2.

A friend of mine also thought the deer looked quite spooked. The Doe knew I was there at that point, and I think quite curious. And, I have to tell you that she put her her down and started grazing shortly after that shot was taken. It wasn't until about five minutes later when I snapped a twig under my foot that she raised her tail, sounded her alarm, and bolted!

Scott
11-26-2007, 08:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hi Scott-

I missed this photo first time around.

As an avid deer-chaser/photographer, I really like your photo. The pose is great as is the composition.

The only thing that might have improved the photo is if the lighting had been better. Although it may be a case of regional color variation, I've found the white chin and neck patches on the deer in this region to be absolutely bright white.
11-26-2007, 09:25 PM   #7
Inactive Account

This photo is lacking tonality variation. Try playing with curves.
11-27-2007, 03:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
SuperJared,
Are you saying that it lacks dynamic range? I did try to stretch this version a bit more, and added a bit of an "S" curve, but any more and I'll start losing detail in the deer's white fur and black nose. I guess I really don't understand your comment. Would appreciate some clarification. Thanks!

Tom,
I'm not sure about regional variation with whites on the neck and under the chin. I'll try to pay better attention the next time, assuming I'm lucky enough to get that close again. Maybe the following version is slightly better?

Thanks everyone for all the input. I tried taking everyone's suggestions into account and came up with the following:

Last edited by sajmmiller; 11-27-2007 at 03:24 PM.
11-27-2007, 05:47 PM   #9
Inactive Account

No, I'm referring to color. brown brown brown.
11-27-2007, 07:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SuperJared Quote
No, I'm referring to color. brown brown brown.
Ok, thanks for clarifying SuperJared....hmmm.... I think brown is the "Nature" of the photo. I'm not really sure what to do about it...??...Maybe it would work better if I desaturated the background to black and white, but left the deer in color?
11-27-2007, 09:17 PM   #11
Inactive Account

After playing with levels and curves using LAB color for about 2 minutes (sorry for the bad compression):
Attached Images

11-27-2007, 09:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SuperJared Quote
After playing with levels and curves using LAB color for about 2 minutes (sorry for the bad compression):
Thanks for the example!
Scott