Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2007, 10:11 PM   #1

Bracelet Shots...

I took 5 pictures of a bracelet that my school makes for a children's organization, can you help me pick 3 out of the 5 that are some what good? I know there not amazing.

11-26-2007, 10:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Number 2 is by far the best of the bunch.

Are you using a tripod because it seems to be pretty shaky?
11-26-2007, 10:20 PM   #3

Original Poster
No :-( i left it in my car. These arnt a final product or anything i will be taking more i was just taking a few rough shots.
11-26-2007, 10:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Ok, just making sure LOL.

Then #2 it is again becausethe composition is great and the lighting as well. Very high-key and it works well for jewelry.

11-26-2007, 10:45 PM   #5

Original Poster
I had a problem with some brown/red on the crystal beading on 4 and 5 so i think im going to scrap them.
11-27-2007, 02:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
#2 also happens to be the one with "white" background...
11-27-2007, 05:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm just gonna throw my 2-cents' worth.

Personally I think you're aproaching this the wrong way. You should I think, photograph this with a dark b'ground not white - black would probably be best.

I also think you should use a prop - a real hand and wrist would be nice.
If you insist on just the bracelet by itself, shoot head-on instead of at an angle, for better DoF.

No offence, just hope it helps present the product in better light, so-to-speak.

11-27-2007, 10:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm with Chris, I like 2 the best.

I honestly think the bigger DOF you can have the better, showing off a peice that they will get, they usually want to see it all clearly. For such a light coloured piece, maybe try some coloured velvet or something like that for a backround.

Very good start....IMO try a bunch of different backrounds and settings and see what you like the best. If you have the time, variety is always better
11-27-2007, 11:12 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I somewhat agree with the others. I think JC Is right about the shooting angle. @ is good but in #1 the colours pop more and the detail in the silver is better. The problem is the surface colour they are on. I would try a red/burgundy or maybe black velvet and set up a little DIY lightbox to shoot these with. Tripod with cable release/self-timer is a must!
11-27-2007, 01:44 PM   #10
Forum Member

I really like number 2. Having shot jewelry on crushed velvet, I'm going to throw another suggestion out there. A piece of black marble. Will still give you a bit of a reflection, and should bring out those clear swarovskis a little better.

Personally, I find using velvet cumbersome. There's ALWAYS dust or lint stuck on it. So, keep a roll of tape nearby if thats the way your going to go about it.

I'd also like to see the focus more on the charm, then on the crystals themselves.

Shooting from overhead can give a completely different look, but I find it significantly harder to focus. I rather like the head on shot, but that might just be me.