Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2011, 09:07 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Vatican Museum Stairs
Lens: Sigma 18-200 Camera: Pentax K-x Photo Location: Rome ISO: 3200 Shutter Speed: 1/45s Aperture: F4.5 

My first time posting here..My look at Vatican Museum stairs.. Hope you like it and so intrested to listen at your thoughts...

08-18-2011, 09:37 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice. It does seem a little off balance with most of the people on the stairs on the right side of the picture, but that lack of symmetry adds to the image. Good job.
08-18-2011, 09:45 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like it. To me, having so many people on the right side of the image implies "leaving".

I'm on the fence about whether or not I'd crop a little from the top.
08-18-2011, 09:49 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for your look and comment guys...I thought of cropping too but the buttom of the image i think is crucial and i didn't want to mess with the ratio...

08-18-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
Pentaxian

the composition I do like. What I am personally not so thrlled about is the DOF. It either needs a lot more, or a lot less
08-18-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm not much on the RCC but if I was in Rome I'd definitely check out that museum. I've seen pics of some of the jewelry, illustrated books and other things that they have? Gorgeous collection, well worth spending a day on. I like the shot. Interesting vantage point.
08-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Magkelly, you could spend a week there, open to close, and not even scratch the surface of what they have.

08-18-2011, 03:56 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
the composition I do like. What I am personally not so thrlled about is the DOF. It either needs a lot more, or a lot less
Maybe a lot more dof... I lost a lot detail in pp though...Thanks for your time..
08-18-2011, 04:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dma110 Quote
Magkelly, you could spend a week there, open to close, and not even scratch the surface of what they have.
Probably I will when I finally go. I tend to have have almost zero interest in almost anything outside of an art museum when I hit a big city actually. I make a point of hitting all the really good ones, and maybe the zoo if they have a good one, but 99% of what thrills most people when they go on vacation just doesn't grab me. I like photographing old architecture and interesting people so I will usually walk around a fair bit doing that but if went to say London? I'd totally skip the Tower, the Crown Jewels, Windsor Castle et all to spend more than half my time in the museums. There's too many good ones there to miss even one, lol.

When I was living in NYC I practically spent every day off I could manage in one museum or another. I'm a total art freak. I finally did get to see the Statue of Liberty before I left and Ellis Island, but that was only after several dozen trips to the Met, the MOMA, the Jewish Museum, et all. I worked in the WTC so I got to see that by default but I probably never would have seen that had I not. Ditto the ESB. I missed a lot of the typical tourist destinations actually....

Rome, for me, it would be almost all about the museums and maybe some of the architecture. I know there a lot more there to see, but unless I had months and months to explore it? I really doubt I'd get out of the museums enough to see that much of it.
08-18-2011, 04:50 PM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with a greater DoF, using a tripod, having a wider perspective and perhaps some PP work to reduce the 'burnt out' highlights in the scene would have done this image justice.
08-19-2011, 06:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Did you try a little less contrast? The B&W feels compressed to me... like the marble? on the walls with this much contrast almost looks like water stains... I think you could stretch that curve without making it muddy?
08-19-2011, 09:44 AM   #12

Original Poster
Hmm.. I think i did not try.. I like strong contrast most of the times... But i have the same place from an other perspective.. The marbles have indeep a lot of stains on them...You can see it large also...

Last edited by Dionisis_K; 08-19-2011 at 09:50 AM.
08-19-2011, 11:34 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I much prefer the second image (if I ignore the contrast with I know you like) The double curves and the interesting placement of people... coupled with the details from the stairs and the marble and the lights acting as highlights... yes I really like this second one...
08-19-2011, 01:47 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I have to agree, the second one is the better image, I am not confused about the DOF in this one. And about the contrast, that is more like my taste, i do like high contrast pics
08-20-2011, 05:07 AM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for your comments and interest!!I think i m getting what are you trying to tell me...