Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2011, 08:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ignore the children
Lens: 31 ltd Camera: KX Photo Location: kitchen 

Ok ignore the kids... my boy and his first cuz prosing for a portrait for grandma, at 2 months and 7 months you get what you get...

I am more interested in the treatment for the back-ground.

I am working on 'framing' photos and looking at the background... there is almost nothing there except a bumbo (the seat they are in) the off-white wall and the blanket they are standing on...

Thoughts? Too over the top?

Last edited by icywarm; 08-22-2011 at 08:51 PM.
08-25-2011, 04:13 AM - 1 Like   #2
Ash
Community Manager

Besides the subject softness, the background blends too much with the fair colour of the kids' skin. Being a plain white background as a result of boosting exposure, it doesn't quite work for a high-key image in this case.
08-25-2011, 05:10 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I agree with Ash but the high key affect might have worked if the children were dressed in white or very light colors. The face needs to be the focus point in high key images and the green pajamas is dominate in your image.

Tim
08-25-2011, 08:26 PM - 1 Like   #4
Inactive Account

I'd agree with atupdate. The high contrast (pajamas) on the same plane as the high-key effect really doesn't work. The background color brings it forward in a way that looks like a poor photoshop retouch and kind of flattens the image in an unnatural way.

Last edited by KC-Focus; 08-25-2011 at 10:23 PM.
08-29-2011, 09:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys you answered what I needed to know about the face and the white wall... (I wanted the bright green pj's to bring the cuteness, but I completely understand what you are saying about everything being on one level)