Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2011, 07:26 PM   #1
Forum Member

Vase at dusk
Lens: Sigma 28-80 F3.5 Camera: K200D Photo Location: Family Home ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: >6s Aperture: F8 

I have been experimenting in my free time in an attempt to improve my photography. However, I am still unsure if I am editing my photos correctly or even correctly taking the photos. I like the look of the photo but would appreciate advice on how to improve. I took the photo using a really long exposure (15 seconds) and a tripod. I edited it in Lightroom and then applied some effects using a Photoshop action. I shoot in raw but I am having a hard time correctly adjusting my photos so that don't look washed out or too bright and unrealistic. Thanks in advance!

Attached Images

08-30-2011, 07:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
H there, bdtalley.

Firstly, with the very wide dynamic range in a photo such as this, you'll just have to accept that blowing highlights is unavoidable on a single shot. Seeing you're using a tripod, however, you have the opportunity to bracket your exposures and then use Photoshop to reduce the dynamic range, if that's what you want, of course. Blown highlights can be a deliberate part of the pictorial composition, too.

Secondly, composition is important, and there are general rules that you should probably follow while trying to improve your photography - breaking them can be successfully done, but usually only after you've got to know what it is you're doing in the first place. There is any number of books or websites devoted to this subject, so it's pointless trying to enunciate them here. Needless to say, you've just taken a record shot with this one, to concentrate on dealing with exposures, but there's no reason why you couldn't incorporate some compositional as well as exposure experiments in the one shot! Try to get lower and closer to your subject, for a start, and you'll probably find your pictures will have more impact.

Best of luck with developing your photographic skills. Simply wanting to do so is, naturally, the first step in the process. I hope that helps.

Rob

Last edited by RobA_Oz; 09-01-2011 at 03:23 AM.
08-31-2011, 05:55 AM   #3

Hi
I think this could have been a very appealing image. Rob's advice is good. I would have repositioned the camera or the vase to exclude the over exposed outdoors - the dynamic range is just too wide to deal with without bracketing. Also, be careful of the background; I find the photo visible through the flowers to be distracting. Pay attention when framing; a slight change of position can make a big difference. I do like the play of light on the subtle colours of the flowers.

Last edited by stewh; 08-31-2011 at 05:56 AM. Reason: syntax
08-31-2011, 06:39 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdtalley Quote
I have been experimenting in my free time in an attempt to improve my photography. However, I am still unsure if I am editing my photos correctly or even correctly taking the photos. I like the look of the photo but would appreciate advice on how to improve. I took the photo using a really long exposure (15 seconds) and a tripod. I edited it in Lightroom and then applied some effects using a Photoshop action. I shoot in raw but I am having a hard time correctly adjusting my photos so that don't look washed out or too bright and unrealistic. Thanks in advance!
The picture in the background is no good and as mentioned I would have removed it as part of the setup.
Also the bright light originating from the direction of the door is very good but there is no need to show it. It would be better to leave the observer pondering where it comes from and what its source is. It is always good to have the observer puzzled about an aspect of your picture. It makes them linger longer when they look at a picture. The old masters knew this trick very well and used it to their advantage.

Also as part of the preparation I would have armed myself with a mirror or a torch/spotlight. Because you know that the available light is likely to create a problem somewhere as far as shadows is concerned. To this length I have identified the centre bunch of flowers that look too dark in the original and I have brightened up with a shaft of light. Personally I think it looks better this way. Hope I am making sense.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 10-31-2011 at 07:16 AM.
08-31-2011, 08:22 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for your tips they have been very helpful. In terms of the actual colors, have I adjusted them too much or do they seem correct? I am thinking of retaking the shot tomorrow with your tips in mind and posting the results. Thanks again.
09-01-2011, 03:09 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdtalley Quote
Thank you all for your tips they have been very helpful. In terms of the actual colors, have I adjusted them too much or do they seem correct? I am thinking of retaking the shot tomorrow with your tips in mind and posting the results. Thanks again.
As far as colour is concerned only you will really know. The light does look a little yellow, very much like as if it was shining through a window which was glazed with amber glass. Now this may or may not be what you desire and if you do not show the light source nobody will ever know. The porch seems to have some yellow walls though. Overall your pic is perhaps a bit dark, I played with it some more and lightened it up a bit and also adjusted the colour to a more realistic level. A based this on the yellow flower petals.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 10-31-2011 at 07:16 AM.
09-01-2011, 10:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

You need to use a completely black background IMHO, I find myself looking at the photo behind the flowers. Place the vase and flowers against a plain wall or suspend a black piece of cloth behind the flowers, with light from the front/side shining onto the subject.

09-01-2011, 06:55 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
This is my second attempt at the shot. I think it is MUCH improved but I would appreciate your comments as I tried to use your advice when taking the shot.
Attached Images

09-02-2011, 05:29 AM   #9

You certainly have improved the shot by eliminating some of the busy background and the bright door. I might have centered the arrangement a bit more in the frame...a matter of taste. Now the rich colours have a sort of 'old masters' look. Quite appealing, good job.
09-02-2011, 06:57 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree, much more pleasing, there is now a glow to the colours that was missing before. I also find myself wanting to shove the vase to the left, not a lot mind you.

Greetings
09-02-2011, 03:12 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your comments/tips!