Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2011, 10:53 PM   #1

Nerd Warefare Squads
Lens: Sigma 24-40mm 1:2.8 EX DG Camera: Pentax K20D Photo Location: Home ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F4.5 

Alright, so I'm terrible in the use of flashes, but I decided to try this after a bit of play with relatives. I tried out using hard lights for a dramatic effect, which is kinda ironic since it's for a Nerf battle. I thought this would be a kinda funny shot. There's 2 of the same shot with different details, and I'm unsure which looks better, or if either look good at all. But anyhow, how is it? Any advice on the use of flashes?

Attached Images

09-10-2011, 11:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I like your flash placement in both of these. #1 is nicely ominous but maybe a bit too dark overall -- that supine body is hard to see. #2 shows good detail but still looks a little dull. What I would do with #2: boost contrast and saturation, to make it all 'pop', but keep the whites muted. The whites in #1 are just a bit too bright IMHO. Nice work!
09-10-2011, 12:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know much about critique...I don't even think they let me over here? But...I like what I see with the lighting, not too bright, not too dark, and it fits the scene perfectly.
Regards!
09-10-2011, 08:44 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I agree with my learned fried RioRico.

I can see you all had a lot of fun doing this image. There is a lot happening there and while a bit of mystery created by dark shadows can add to the drama, there also is a lot of detail that deserves to be shown. I have just fiddled with this image a bit because I like it, but do forgive me for doing this. (I get sometimes unfavorable feedback here for daring doing this) But you are not one of those, are you. Anyway I thought I needed to see just a bit more (perhaps not more but more clearly) to add to the mistry and here is the result.
Now I can see all those lovely carrots sticking out of the supine Corpse's chest, superb! The corpse is the main sinister element in your shot I feel and therefore ought to be just a bit more prominent. Am I right? Let your creative juices flow freely and show us more.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 10-31-2011 at 07:18 AM.
09-14-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
SPO

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice guys, and don't worry, I actually like what you did Schraubstock.
09-16-2011, 11:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i'd snoot a flash on the shooters and more importantly throw a tight beam with a snoot on the victim. it would illuminate what you want to see and eliminate what you don't.
09-16-2011, 11:43 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I think the lighting is ok. Base on the scene maybe a cinematic PP by adding contrast, a proper bleach bypass treatment may work as well, but I'm leaning more on cinematic, contrasty look.... Maybe remove the deadbody.
09-16-2011, 08:41 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
i'd snoot a flash on the shooters and more importantly throw a tight beam with a snoot on the victim. it would illuminate what you want to see and eliminate what you don't.
Na, that would look more staged than it already is and you want to see a little bit of everything without seeing too much. The way it is now only the play looks staged not the photography, play with some more dedicated lighting and you tip the balance.

Greetings

09-18-2011, 04:26 PM   #9
SPO

Original Poster
I think working in a bigger space might've helped a bit if I wanted to keep the same amount of people. Heck, I had to placed the camera in a bathroom doorway.