Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2011, 12:23 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The photographer who manages to get a turbine farm with the blades all lined up will ruin it for the rest of us. How could that even be matched?

09-17-2011, 12:53 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by groesener Quote

With that said, I thought the just-barely visible foreground hill lines were a positive, but you don't seem to agree? Is that because of the same issue - distracting from the main focus of the composition?...
no, on the contrary, i was suggesting you find a way to further emphasize those foreground lines because they are very complementary to the horizon line. By "dodging", i meant to make those appear brighter(ie stronger), if possible. very beautiful indeed.

i dont bother much with the position of the blades except to say that when they are all pointing different directions it suggests movement; consequently if they wouldve been all lined up it might suggest stillness, which is also nice.

I recall another i shot on the same day as the aforementioned pic where i got lucky with some cows to provide scale:

in this case the cows were on a closer hill than the turbines which were well behind them, but nevertheless it was a fortunate catch.

Last edited by mikeSF; 09-17-2011 at 01:03 AM.
09-19-2011, 09:52 PM   #18
Pentaxian

this thread inspired me to return to the local windfarm and reshoot that previous pic. it has been a couple years and there are a few more turbines in the distance now, but i did catch the sunrise this time:

09-19-2011, 11:20 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
@Mike - that's a great effect with the sun - on purpose? If so, how? I like the streaking in the clouds as well. Where are these turbines at, roughly?

09-19-2011, 11:36 PM   #20
Pentaxian

thanks. what effect w/ the sun do you mean? i recovered some highlights which may have caused that yellow halo to be more visible.
there are hundreds of these turbines about 45min from my home...this spot near suisun city, ca.