Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2011, 01:29 AM   #1

Mt Sterling Pano
Lens: DAL 18-55 Camera: K-r Photo Location: Mt Sterling, Victoria, Australia 

Here is my first attempt at a panorama. I took the images a while ago, but didn't find a decent free stitching program, so didn't do anything about them. I found out about autostitch yesterday so thought I'd give it a go. I'm pretty happy with result but any ideas on improving in the future would be great.
https://picasaweb.google.com/102266651534763504610/LightroomUploads#5652087852384843650

09-14-2011, 08:20 AM   #2

First, for an auto-stitch that is fantastic! As a critique, I have a little trouble determining where you were trying to put the focus. If I were trying this shot, I might have waited until the lighting was more pronounced on the two bushes in the center of the "V" to try to use that pull the eye to the skyline. As it is, I am more pulled to the bottom right at first glance... Hope that helps.
09-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agree with tkj that the bare trees and also grass in the right foreground provide interest. Also that it is a very good stitch. I could be wrong but it looks as though the right-most shot is exposed differently from the rest. The sky matches well with only slight evidence of the stitch, but it seems to me that the trees and grass ought to match better given what looks like a brilliantly sunny day. Standing closer to the trees on the right, if that would still provide the sweeping view of the mountains, would give the viewer a definite starting point, and the line of receding trees would accentuate the sense of massive space.
09-14-2011, 10:29 PM   #4

Original Poster
I see what you both mean. I think I have improved my composition a bit since I took the original pictures, but that is the sort of advice that I'm after. There is so much to think about, I must I used to think you just pointed a camera and clicked, I now have a much better understanding of the still involved with creating a great photo.

I checked the original images and the difference in the lighting on the trees is also in the right hand image, so I think it is more to do with the natural light that the stitch.