Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2011, 07:00 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Snow and Ice
Lens: Sigma 18-50 Camera: K200D Photo Location: Antarctica ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/750s Aperture: F8 

Should I crop the sky or do you think the big sky fits the "big scenery"? C and C welcome.

09-15-2011, 07:06 AM   #2

To be blunt, I would not change a single pixel. That is an amazing shot. You have perfectly captured the senic beauty....
09-15-2011, 07:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice and crisp. The horizon is dead center, a no no except in certain cases. Since the subject is the icebergs and mountains I would crop out the sky down to just above the highest cloud and make it more of a panoramic shot to emphasize the expanse. I would also work on the white balance as it has a blue/green cast. From the look of things you were either ashore or on a really big boat. Must have been a fun trip.
09-15-2011, 07:44 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments, the trip was awesome. This shot was taken from the same spot as the first, looking back down the long climb.

09-15-2011, 08:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

A couple of superb images, love the composition of the second image.
09-16-2011, 01:25 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

I agree with Gregory_51 and have taken his idea and massaged the image accordingly.

As far as colour correction is concerned I have taken my cue from the left side of the picture with the sunlit cliffs as here any local colour contamination should not influence this part of the picture. I think you will agree that this part of the landscape should look like you would have seen it with your eyes. So therefore the rest should fall into place accordingly.

I also have cropped the pic as Gregory_51 correctly said to " to emphasize the expanse" and I think you will agree with this sentiment. Also please note I have removed the, in my opinion, irksome piece of sharp and pointy looking iceberg on the right edge of the pic because it looked to me as if it wanted to hijack the picture.
Please tell me whether you like what I have done with your beautiful picture.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 10-31-2011 at 07:18 AM.
09-16-2011, 01:38 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
I think thats a better composition, the colours are hard to describe as the sea is really not very blue in real life, I used a CPL on both of these shots to try and get a bit more colour into the shot. Thanks for you efforts. Cheers Ian

09-16-2011, 12:14 PM   #8
Inactive Account

maybe just remove the iceberg on the right side. But it is already great as it is man. You should be happy with it. great capture.