Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-18-2011, 08:47 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
(Yet another) Moon shot
Lens: Tamron 70-300mm Di LD Camera: Kx Photo Location: Maine ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/350s 

The shutter speed is actually 1/320 but 1/350 was the closest...unless I'm blind and missed that option. Anyways the first attached picture is the original and the 2nd is the edited, duh Just wondering if the 2nd is a decent-ish processing and cropping job? Thanks.

Attached Images

09-18-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If it's the same exposure, then the first version's processing probably decreased the image's quality. #2 is a lot sharper and more brilliant.
Good result.
09-18-2011, 09:10 PM   #3

Awesome. I love Moon shots. Thanks for sharing.
09-18-2011, 09:29 PM   #4

Original Poster
Awesome thank you both.

09-19-2011, 04:50 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
The second is a great shot. I think your processing is fine. I prefer a tighter crop, but that's just a preference.
09-19-2011, 05:48 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Processed version is very sharp with nice contrast. This is a subject where you can get away with pretty heavy sharpening which I guess you have done here. Agreed with RevDoc that a tighter crop would be appropriate, if the detail is there. Might be a different story if there were stars etc. in the background.
09-19-2011, 01:43 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks again for the comments.

10-12-2011, 04:10 AM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi!

Very nice picture! I also like the moon photographs very much. Sometimes I also shoot the moon, but my photographs are not so good. As I understand, your photograph was taken by using the upper focal length of your lens - 300 mm. So the 35 mm equivalent focal length is 450 mm. Could you reveal the aperture for the photograph? The second shot is very nice. I presume that you used quite low aperture (high F number). Did you used tripod or you use image stabilisation?
10-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alberts Quote
Hi!

Very nice picture! I also like the moon photographs very much. Sometimes I also shoot the moon, but my photographs are not so good. As I understand, your photograph was taken by using the upper focal length of your lens - 300 mm. So the 35 mm equivalent focal length is 450 mm. Could you reveal the aperture for the photograph? The second shot is very nice. I presume that you used quite low aperture (high F number). Did you used tripod or you use image stabilisation?
Thanks, glad you liked them. I used a tripod but with image stabilization turned OFF because the tripod already keeps the camera still and using IS will actually cause the camera to 'move'/shake a little bit. I then used a $9 IR remote from amazon to take pictures. These were taken in Maine, opposite corner from where I live and the sky was super clear and the pictures, as some have already pointed out, have quite a bit of post processing or PP or photoshopping or whatever you want to call it. When I get a chance to find the numbers, I will post them for you.
« Dusted | The Moon »