Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2011, 10:57 PM   #1

Circles on the Beach
Lens: Pentax 18-55 DAL Camera: K-r Photo Location: Darwin ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/20s Aperture: F6.7 

Hi Guys,
I recently went to Darwin, which conveniently has coastline facing both east and west, so I could do both sunrises and sunsets over the water

This is just after sunset, and I'm not really sure on the composition. I feel like maybe there is too much sky, but then I'm not sure...

09-20-2011, 11:19 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice composition and colours.
The people in the distance add even more interest to this scene.
Thanks for sharing.
09-21-2011, 12:45 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I like the composition. The sky and the sand carry equal importance so I reckon you have the balance about right.

The subject makes me uneasy... tyre marks are vandalism ... albeit temporary!
09-21-2011, 02:17 AM   #4

I like very much the composition and the colors. I find it very original. But I don't like very much the vignetting...

Regards

09-21-2011, 03:36 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi
There is nothing wrong with composition but I am not overly fond of the strong purple treatment. The narrow band of purple clouds close to the horizon would not be strong enough to render this image in such a way.

I find people very often succumb to the temptation to overplay colour in PP to make sunset shots look more impressive and in the process overdo it a bit. In your shot there is some lighter yellowish sky which really ought to have a greater influence on the overall colour toning of this picture. If this was shot in RAW go back and play around a bit with different intensity settings and let the natural light influence the shot a bit more. You will surprised how much you can improve this picture without loosing any drama and mood of this sunset. (Most likely add to it)

I also am surprised to see the strong vignetting, I don't know this lens, is it known for this ?

Greetings
09-21-2011, 06:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I find the image interesting but have some suggestions. I like the framing of the subject and the placement of the people in the background. I feel the tone is too dark in the foreground, it might be because of the strong vignette used, I would back off some. The title says it's about the circles on the sand but I find the circles to be somewhat unsharp, again maybe because of the darkness. It looks to me that the sharpest part of the image is the small person in the background in the center rather than the circles in the sand.
09-21-2011, 04:08 PM   #7

Original Poster
Hi guys,
Thanks for the input,
When I uploaded to flickr, I also was surprised to see how dark the image, and especially the vingette had become. Flickr must be smashing the contrast on my shots...or maybe its just the white background that makes it look like that...
Anyhow I've softened up a bit on the contrast, vingette, and purpleness. The general lighting of the scene is relatively accurate though, as despite popular opinion, this sunset was particularly purple

09-21-2011, 05:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

That's better. It's odd how the values can get changed so much just uploading an image. I know some of mine change a lot. Here the gallery shot sometimes is so dark but when you click on the image it loads up in a new window and looks more like it should, weird. One thing I notice on the horizon about 1/4 in from the left is a dark half circle that looks odd, to me at least. I might suggest cloning it out.
Cheers

09-21-2011, 07:56 PM   #9

IMO this picture suffers magenta/purple color cast too.. same as my K5 which I discuss Here, I'm in Bali and I notice the sunset sky is quite "purple-ish" lately, but seems to me K5 and maybe Kr strengthen the purple color cast and make the lighting looks fake or over processed. Take ages and almost impossible to correct the WB in ACR even when I shoot in RAW.
09-21-2011, 10:49 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

Firstly, you have dust/dirt on your sensor. The way it presents itself suggests it has been on there for a long time. It is of organic matter (skin flake or dandruff, plant matter like pollen) because with moisture from humidity it had plenty of time to "bloom". A wet clean is the only way to get it off.

Now to the picture.
I still think there is way too much purple cast. When you say you think it comes very close to what you remember this is always a difficult observation to make. Your mind can easily play tricks on you because you were so impressed when you were actually observing the sunset in real life that weeks and months after it grows bigger and bigger on you.

In my fine art giclée print activity I have seen this many times. Often an outsider can bring back some reality by analyzing the colour values and make adjustments accordingly. And after having done this perhaps bring a bit of "mood" back into the picture to make the colours a bit more punchy. In my observation the sand in the very foreground would/could not possibly look this purple, because the light conditions in my mind could not effect this. There are actually some grey tones in there that ought to remain.

So please look at it again with an open mind and if you absolutely insist that this is how you saw it, well, then I will shut up. But just for the hell of it and for general discussion I will attach a quick and dirty correction which points to the direction I think is what it probably looked like. After all this forum is all about exchanging knowledge and ideas.

Please no hate mail, I am just trying to be constructive.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 10-31-2011 at 07:18 AM.
09-22-2011, 04:00 AM   #11
smf
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

ChumpyMcChump, I respect your choice to document the tire marks on the sand or that you simply like that part of the image.
But — even though the crop would be severe and the resulting image would be very shallow — I prefer cropping up to just below the "steam" of water which is slightly below the people.
I realize that leaves a more or less "routine" sunset photo. But I like it.
Best wishes.
09-22-2011, 03:48 PM   #12

Original Poster
Hi all,
Thanks for the constructive input, as always picking up on things i would not have thought of
Schraubstock, Its amazing to see the purple cast in my image once you posted that edit up. I knew there was purple cast, but it was not that stark in my mind.
smf, that recrop is definately something I would not have thought of. I just tried it with the original (which has a lot more room around the top) and it really works, leaving the people as the main subject.
I think I'm going to be a little bit obstinant and keep my purple cast, and tyre tracks, but I'm definately going to experiment with a recrop and less purple on a copy.

Cheers guys!
09-22-2011, 04:20 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChumpyMcChump Quote
I think I'm going to be a little bit obstinate and keep my purple cast, and tyre tracks
Hi
That's perfectly understandable and acceptable, you got to please yourself first. Just bear in mind though, if you make pictures available for public viewing most people are too polite to point out to you what is/could be wrong with the shot you showing them and in the end this could work against you without you noticing. Here in this forum it is a bit different if you ask for critique you usually get an honest answer. (May not always be correct either but you usually get a pretty good pointer)

Greetings