Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2011, 08:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Additional
Lens: 31 Limited Camera: K5 and K7 Photo Location: Central Maine, USA ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F6.7 

Here are a few additional images of Rebecca. All finished in CS4 and OnOne PhotoTools Professional 2.6 and AlienSkin Exposure 3.

Last edited by candgpics; 09-28-2012 at 07:11 PM.
09-21-2011, 09:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Very attractive lady and fabulous processing, love this set.
09-21-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
She's a great model for sure and the processing is good, but I like seeing fitness photos in the more contemporary style. That is, with more color like what you'd see in a magazine like Shape, Fitness, or Oxygen magazine. That's just my personal preference, so thake it with a grain of salt
09-21-2011, 08:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi:

Thank you both for your comments.

I have come to like old film grain and moody styles. The danger is that I may Photoshop images a bit too much with the moody effect, but overall I tend to prefer grainy or b&w/toned images. I do like modern fitness images in fitness magazines, but the photography tends to be technically very good, just often not that creative. So, you end up with very fit and pretty models who likely would look good in any picture and the pictures themselves simply showcase the model's figure, but are not necessarily creative in and of themselves.

Nonethless, I appreciate your comments.

Thanx so much to you both.

09-21-2011, 11:00 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
She's all abs.
The bold processing in #1 works, though she's posed a little awkwardly, and the wrinkles at the sides of her mouth draw too much attention.
#2 is a favourite but could do with a lot more contrast and texture rendition.
#3 isn't bad either though I'm finding the grainy parchment effect slightly distracting.
Good results nonetheless.
09-22-2011, 08:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanx so much for your comments.
09-22-2011, 09:33 PM   #7

#1 - I find the composition to be slightly awkward and I am not sure if it is the pose or the busy background. The PP work is fantastic.
#2 - Good shot but it does not seem to match the processing. What I mean by that is that the photo itself is more "posed" and not a stance you might catch in normal circumstances. For this one, I think it does not lend itself to B/W.
#3 - My favorite shot; posed and yet still natural - she has seriously strong eyes (and I imagine great color) and you could really take advantage of that with PP in different styles. I tend to agree with Ash that the parchment effect is slightly too much, but it is my favorite!

I apologize for not replying sooner.

07-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #8
Forum Member

Her abs (pic #1) looks weird, not natural, i dont know. Rest os pics are great
08-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lawjbm Quote
I do like modern fitness images in fitness magazines, but the photography tends to be technically very good, just often not that creative. So, you end up with very fit and pretty models who likely would look good in any picture and the pictures themselves simply showcase the model's figure, but are not necessarily creative in and of themselves.

Hi,
I agree with this view .I go for this argument myself, and my goal to counter is to come up with pictures that are technically just as good, and more creative.... I am not sure I like the implementation here to counter those mag shots..you do have an attractive model that would look good in any picture.

To be more specific: (Keep in mind that this is just my opinion....)

Posing:
-Picture number 1 has a marked difference in age compared to picture 2 and 3 - the wrinkle by the face and neck that is easily removed by posing her differently as seen in picture 2 and 3.
-The direction of the eyes are reversed : Picture 1 should have the model working out, and looking away, instead of standing around with a couple weights, Picture 2 and 3 should have the model looking straight at the camera....for that attractive but challenging look that the body muscles already conveyed.
- The posing of picture 3 makes the model look shorter and boxy - and if it had been critiqued alone would not have complimented her well. Only from seeing picture 1 and 2 we know her figure is more slim/slender and less boxy.

Composition:
#1 is a little off, with the background being like that....

PP:
If old look is really what you are going to stick with - that is fine - but I suggest removing the borders. It bothers me - the borders suggests photoshop...while the picture suggests 1900. I think stick with your guns all the way.

PS: I found some pictures that are technically good, very creative, and the lighting is beyond superb. ...hm. I may try and imitate these pictures myself :
Bodybuilder Performing Bicep Curl with Dumbbell | iStock

Take it with a grain of salt!
Cheers