Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2011, 09:56 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great Blue Heron Fight
Lens: Tamron 70 -200 Camera: k5 

Hello All,
On the way back to my office Tuesday I saw this juvenile Great Blue Heron trying to eat a fish that was a little to big for him. So, I pulled over and got my camera stuff out and hoped he would still be there once I got in position to take some pictures. He was and I got a couple before he gave up and moved on. I was about to pack it up and was just going to take one or to more when this happened.

The whole thing took about 45 seconds and I was caught so unaware that I just held down the trigger and kept going till my buffer filled. All in all I got 33 pictures of the fight. These are some of the more dramatic of the bunch.
Thanks for viewing, C&C welcomed,
Rob

09-26-2011, 05:46 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You deservedly got a lot of positive comments when you posted these in "Post Your Photos", which might explain why no comments here yet. Also, it's hard to suggest improvements. They're focused and exposed correctly. The background is uninteresting but that's not under your control. You had a rare opportunity and got some spectacular captures. Would have been nice to have both birds completely in the frame for all of them (either that or a tighter view on some of them).

I think #2 would work better as a tighter crop. #3 is very compelling, with the backlit lower bill of the left-hand bird a plus. #4 would have been even better with the birds entirely in the frame; worth looking at a tight crop on their heads here. #5 is the best of all.
09-27-2011, 05:23 AM   #3
smf
Pentaxian

Bravo!
Thanks very much for posting these.
Best wishes.
09-27-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The old Great Blue Heron lovers quarrel, classic!!

Great photos!