Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2011, 05:57 PM   #1

Tea House
Lens: 18-55 Kit Camera: K200D Photo Location: Japan ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F4.5 

Just a little shot of a tea house. Let me know what you think?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
09-24-2011, 06:49 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very cool- are these typical for Japan?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-24-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tkj365 Quote
Hi

It is a very nice "holiday" shot that means possibly more to you than anyone else. I do them all the time, sort of a record of where one has been. Not everything has to be an artistic master piece, you know. This is the sort of picture that needs to be straightened though, so only thing I would do rotate the pic until it is perfectly straight.

Greetings

P.S. Here is mine I took three years ago (winter). I could not go too far to the left as they where rebuilding the decking and I did not want all that construction gear in the pic.
As you can see, we all take these sort of holiday snaps. (In this case it could be said, great minds think alike )

Last edited by Schraubstock; 03-07-2012 at 09:34 PM.
09-24-2011, 07:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Uncanny !

09-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Hi
Yes they are, tea houses and tea ceremonies have a very strong tradition in Japan. I travel to Japan a lot and have learned to like taking the tea, there is something tranquil about it. Pretty well all parks have some sort of tea houses in one way or another, particularly the bigger parks.

Greetings
09-24-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Should have the horizon leveled.
09-25-2011, 01:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Is "swimming" allowed on the lake? Or it's only for the ducks?

09-25-2011, 01:25 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Looks like one of the tea houses in Kenrokuen? I second the suggestion to level the horizon - I also wonder if you could have included a bit more of the reflection, but unless this image is cropped, that's impossible to add! The colours are good, but I find it a little visually disturbing that the right hand end of the tea house goes out of the frame.
09-25-2011, 01:26 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Manel Brand Quote
Is "swimming" allowed on the lake? Or it's only for the ducks?
I've never seen a Japanese garden where people were allowed into the water. Unless it was an outdoor bath at an onsen!
09-25-2011, 01:29 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yes, most of the large gardens in Japan have at least one tea house overlooking a pond or lake. I think the idea is to quietly drink your tea and contemplate the peace of the garden, the carp swimming by and the reflections in the water.

Here's another tea house from Kenrokuen, looking out into the pool at the Midori (green) waterfall. Hmmm... looks like my photo need levelling too.

Last edited by RobG; 09-25-2011 at 01:55 AM.
09-26-2011, 07:19 AM   #11

Original Poster
Yeah, regarding the leveling...apparently I uploaded the wrong version. I spent a considerable amount of time figuring what in the horizon to level to...

Last edited by tkj365; 09-26-2011 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Apparently I can't spell. :)
09-26-2011, 03:30 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yeah, regarding the leveling...apparently I uploaded the wrong version. I spent a considerable amount of time figuring what in the horizon to level to...
The lines of the wooden walkway or the base of the roof provide guides, and they're close to the middle of the image.
09-26-2011, 04:15 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi
What I do with pictures that have clear horizontal or vertical objects in them is, in Photoshop I enlarge the picture a little, reduce the outer frame of the picture on screen and then use the hand tool to shift the picture up or down or from side to site and line up elements of the picture with any of the the borders. This is a good way of checking.

Greetings