Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
Forum Member

Paris in Black and White
Camera: K-x Photo Location: Paris, France 

I have been reading up on cropping and have greatly improved many of my photos by using the rule of thirds. However, I am a bit stuck on this one. How do I apply the rule of thirds to this picture? As it is, I have the street signs as the counterpoint to the large fountain. As always, I welcome your input on how to improve other aspects of the picture.

Thanks!

Attached Images

09-25-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The rule of thirds is only a general rule and will not apply to very single shot, nor this one.

I'd bump the contrast, and level the horizon, though. It is also cropped a bit tight which puts the main subjects at the edges and leaves a big hole (tree) in the middle.
09-27-2011, 08:26 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks!
09-27-2011, 08:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Yes I'd agree on the crop being too tight and the conversion lacking contrast.

The "rule of thirds" is no where near as important as the "rule of diagonals" which give depth and dynamicism (is that a word?) to a picture. Rule of thirds is a good 2D idea, rule of diagonals is for a good 3D feel.

09-27-2011, 08:32 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It does look like the building has a slight slant towards the left.
The contrast certainly needs increasing.
This would have been better suited to a wider-angled focal length.
09-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It feels like to me that the picture has too many things in it. There is of course that building with a slight tilt, and then there are trees. I then followed the street lights to the street signs. I now see cars, and people along the sidewalk and street signs. Because the contrast is a bit on the lower side, making it a bit tougher to delineate lines, ultimately taking longer for the viewers to process all the info too. I agree with Ash on that point.

So I say, crop it square. Lose street lights and most of the trees on the right side. As for the left side, I say crop out the left 1/3 of the building so that we have an excuse to have a very crowded picture for contrived justification. I again agree with Ash that a shot like this is more suited with wider angle shot.