Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Startrail Clouds
Lens: DA L 18-55mm Camera: Pentax K-x Photo Location: Home Brisbane ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: >6s Aperture: F3.5 

Startrail Clouds

30second exposures for ~40minutes
General tips, advice?

09-26-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'd say keep doing what you're doing. It looks great to me! Maybe avoid the direct light source next time.
09-26-2011, 10:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Super patterns and colors, well done, great shot.
10-09-2011, 06:57 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As mentioned, keep lights out of the frame to avoid lens flare (do you have a hood? - if not,one of the collapsable rubber ones will work well). The only other thought I have would be to WB check off the clouds in order to reduce the purpleness a bit - because of the street light running at a funky temperature, the auto WB has shifted in this direction.
If you can get hold of a lens (manual focus is fine) with an aperture faster than 3.5 (say a 24 or 28mm) you might be able to run it at F2.8 and reduce the noise some more.
Good effort though.

10-09-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
This is one I did after a bit more experience.
10-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #6
Zav
Pentaxian

The 2nd attempt is much better colorwise. Much cleaner as well. I like that you still have details in the windows. And it looks like you catched a couple of shooting stars as well. Nice.
10-12-2011, 04:42 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice. Have fun!

10-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
I actually like the first one better. I like how the color radiates out from the right side. I'd cut the bright stuff off the bottom, though.
10-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #9

Big improvement, I think. The first was sharp, but noisy (NR would help that) and had a lens flare (I second the suggestion of a rubber lens hood). It felt busy too, I would have cropped out the light and a bit of the bottom, leaving just trees, as well as that bit of tree sticking out on the right.

Your last one is great, clean, longer trails, interesting foreground (what is that red "e" thing on the roof?). I've been trying to shoot star trails for a while and have had trouble finding a subject, getting the settings right, setting up the camera to do inverval shooting (I have the K-x too), and finding a clear sky at the right time without the moon.

I'm very curious how you took interval shots with the K-x - did you use PK Tether, or tape down the shutter?
10-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DK77 Quote
Big improvement, I think. The first was sharp, but noisy (NR would help that) and had a lens flare (I second the suggestion of a rubber lens hood). It felt busy too, I would have cropped out the light and a bit of the bottom, leaving just trees, as well as that bit of tree sticking out on the right.

Your last one is great, clean, longer trails, interesting foreground (what is that red "e" thing on the roof?). I've been trying to shoot star trails for a while and have had trouble finding a subject, getting the settings right, setting up the camera to do inverval shooting (I have the K-x too), and finding a clear sky at the right time without the moon.

I'm very curious how you took interval shots with the K-x - did you use PK Tether, or tape down the shutter?
That red thing is the solar water heating system, and yes I used PK Tether
10-20-2011, 03:22 PM   #11

Aha! Very cool.

I was using PK Tether the other night and it worked...but it seems to have a minimum of three seconds in between each shot, which in reality turned into 4-5 seconds between shutter presses, enough to produce a dotted trail instead of a smooth one (at 50mm), it won't be such an issue at a wider angle unless you view it 100%, but it would be nice to eliminate the issue - have you by any chance found a way to reduce the time between exposures?
10-21-2011, 01:03 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DK77 Quote
Aha! Very cool.

I was using PK Tether the other night and it worked...but it seems to have a minimum of three seconds in between each shot, which in reality turned into 4-5 seconds between shutter presses, enough to produce a dotted trail instead of a smooth one (at 50mm), it won't be such an issue at a wider angle unless you view it 100%, but it would be nice to eliminate the issue - have you by any chance found a way to reduce the time between exposures?
well, I set it to take 30second exposures so that the gap between was minimal. Also, set the automatic noise removal at higher shutter speeds off in the settings, because that takes quite a bit of time.
10-21-2011, 10:25 AM   #13

Yeah, it certainly does. I only wish it could be turned off for 30+ second exposures.