Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2011, 02:37 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Wilma's Haven
Lens: 18-55 pentax Camera: Pentax K-r Photo Location: Newport, RI ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F11 

My goal of this photo was a to focus on the landscape, while having the subject as the woman with her dog. The ravine positioned in the picture draws your eye out to sea, which was done deliberately. I am looking for a general critique to improve my future pictures of this type, as this was my favorite of the day.

Attached Images

09-30-2011, 07:37 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

My only real criticism is the fact that the rock and the water look like they're the same color. I wasn't even aware that that was water in the background until I looked at your location then back at the shot and went "Ah ha! That's the ocean!" I don't know how well you could change things to make the water stand out though.
10-01-2011, 12:45 AM - 1 Like   #3
Zav
Pentaxian

I think it is over processed and what catches the eye is more the process than the subject. Around the lady's head, there is a green halo, probably some CA overpowered by the processing.
10-01-2011, 04:09 AM - 1 Like   #4
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I offer these comments respectfully, with no intention of sounding harsh or superior:
I'm confused by your comment that the woman and her dog are the subjects but that you are focusing on the background. I find the photo interesting, and I appreciate the great detail in the background. But if you are trying to portray the woman and her dog, I and probably many other viewers would prefer to see at least part of the dog's head (and preferably the dog's face).
The focus on the woman's face seems slightly soft. (I don't mind, as I like the detail in the background.)
I did not notice the green halo until Zav mentioned it.
Best wishes.

10-01-2011, 06:29 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments so far, I may have overprocessed a bit, however i was able to bring out the backround, the original shot had less differentiation between the rocks and water. I chose the dog in this position rather than a head shot to keep the focus on the landscape and the woman. i did get a few shots of the dogs face, however it takes the focus off the scene, they also did not come out quite as good. I am experimenting with subjects and composition lately and how they affect the shot.
Because the dog is facing the wrong direction, I think it would be more appropriate to call the subject the woman, with the dog as a "prop" I think this explanation may take the confusion out. I can utilize the critiques so far, thank u they are definately helpful : )

Last edited by AzureC; 10-01-2011 at 07:44 AM.