Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2011, 11:16 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Albany Rock
Lens: 18-55 DA AL WR Camera: K-7 Photo Location: Albany Western Australia ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F5.6 

This was taken on a very dull overcast day. I an trying to increase the cloud contrast by selecting the sky area and adjusting levels in Photoshop Elements. I am left with a distinct line between the rock and sky.Suggestions on how to eliminate this line would be most welcome. I habve tried various levels of feathering the selection to little effect.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
10-10-2011, 11:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hmm not sure about photoshop elements.. but in Photoshop CS5/Camera RAW I would reset the image to defaults and process it as a single shot HDR image.
10-11-2011, 12:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

You could try using the blur tool, zoom in and run the blur tool along the edges you want to soften.
10-11-2011, 03:48 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
This was taken on a very dull overcast day. I an trying to increase the cloud contrast by selecting the sky area and adjusting levels in Photoshop Elements. I am left with a distinct line between the rock and sky.Suggestions on how to eliminate this line would be most welcome. I habve tried various levels of feathering the selection to little effect.
Hi
Never seen or have created such pronounced lines as the result of PP. Don't really know how you achieves them. There are of course white and black sharpening halos mainly as a result of aggressive oversharpening, but not to that extend.

If you wish to make drastic changes (as in your case the sky) there is of course, as they say in the classics, more than one way to skin a cat. In your particular case I would have "knocked out" the rock and foreground from the background. For this sort of thing I use "CREL KnockOut2". Your image is particularly easy for this treatment. Once the rock and the sky are separated it is easy to "slide in" another sky (any sky) or work on the current one to your heart's contend and then slide it back in again behind the rock. (Use layer for this)

If you do not want to start over with your existing photo it can be rescued by just cloning out the offending line. Use a 5px size clone stamp and carefully move along the edge of the line, bit fiddly but it works. I use a tablet rather than a rodent which makes the job much easier.

Greetings

10-11-2011, 05:03 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The dark line means you have too much sky selected. Even without the telltale line this treatment would not look natural because of the extreme contrast adjustment between subject and sky -- the sky just looks too dark. I don't know Elements and use GIMP for this sort of thing; with GIMP I would use a layer mask, and if the initial effort with a feathered selection didn't quite work I'd experiment with blurring the mask to eliminate the line, trial and error.
10-12-2011, 04:13 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks to all for helpful suggestions. I agree I was too heavy on darkening the sky. I believe the line was due to the selection of sky picking up a few pixels of the rock. On darkening this selection the bits of rock also became darker hence the line. Even on mild darkening the line was still apparent. On suggestion from Schraubstock,I slipped the lighter sky behind the rock. A slight crop and Bob's your uncle. Fix can be seen in Photo Sharing thread. I can't get it to upload here

Last edited by Bruce Clark; 10-12-2011 at 04:18 AM. Reason: Upload missing
10-26-2011, 03:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Nice contras etc. Baybe a little bit centralized and different angle? Otherwise I love it!