Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2011, 02:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Train
Lens: M50 1.7 Camera: K-x Photo Location: Rochester 

I found that when I look back at many of my edited pictures, they look oversaturated (amateur mistake, I know). I decided to try something different by boosting the contrast and reducing the saturation. I think it compliments the subject well. What do you guys think?

Attached Images

10-13-2011, 05:34 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Works well, but I personally would convert to black and white. These kinds of shots often do well in B&W.
10-14-2011, 04:47 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Moderate desaturation usually makes me think of an old, faded color print. Which is a suitable effect for a shot, such as this, that evokes nostalgia. Does for me, anyway; this scene might have looked nearly the same 30 or 40 years ago. I agree with foto guy, my first instinct would be a B&W conversion simply because color isn't doing much compositionally here, and also for the nostalgic effect of B&W. The main interest is the receding lines of track and train, so you're right to boost contrast, emphasizing these -- you could take this further. Could also darken the top third of the image (with a gradient mask) to enhance the sense of receding into the distance.
10-14-2011, 06:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys, I tried the black and white and I really like it, great suggestion. I'll have to look up how to do a gradient mask.

10-20-2011, 01:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm going to take this in the exact opposite direction. I know you wrote it off as an amateur mistake, but I wouldn't mind seeing that yellow locomotive and the red building a little more colorful.
10-20-2011, 03:25 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Don From The Radio Quote
I'm going to take this in the exact opposite direction. I know you wrote it off as an amateur mistake, but I wouldn't mind seeing that yellow locomotive and the red building a little more colorful.
You mean like this?

Last edited by Schraubstock; 03-07-2012 at 09:36 PM.
10-20-2011, 11:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
here is what would be my take on the oversaturated image.

Attached Images