Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2011, 02:48 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Olivia

We took are 2 year old granddaughter for her first hike in the woods today and tryed to take a few pic let me know what you thinkName:  olivia and the tree.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  90.0 KB

Name:  olivia and tree.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  90.9 KB

Thanks Pat

10-17-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like 2'nd composition but the image is slightly blue and would benefit from a warming filter. Colours in 1'st are more natural looking. Good to get the young ones out in the bush.
10-17-2011, 05:35 PM   #3

For the first, the color is near perfect. I like the comp as well, but it is just slightly too posed for me. For the second, it is natural and fun. I would adjust the white balance just a touch as mentioned above (perhaps check that you camera is on AWB). Nice job!
10-18-2011, 06:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Either one will be liked by family members. For an unrelated observer they will look at the technical aspects. The color in the first is warmer and more pleasing than the second which is too cyan. The first one she has a nice expression but there are a few things that could be worked on. First she is looking off camera at someone else not the viewer. Second the fluorescent magenta coat being the brightest thing in the image is drawing the eye away from the child's face. If going out again possibly a different coat would be a better choice. To work in pp changing the coat color would be an option. Third, the photo was taken from your eye level not the child's. If you compare it with the second where the child is at eye level and looking at the viewer I think you will agree that the second has more impact. I feel the second is the stronger image. She is looking at the viewer and it's more engaging, you're closer to the child's eye level, still slightly above. The tree trunks frame the subject (although it would be nice if they were a bit wider to see more of the subject). As others mentioned there is a cyan cast to the image which is noticeable in the skin, an easy fix. The magenta coat still is a distraction and I would replace color or desaturate it some and darken it. The eyes seem to be dark and I would brighten them in pp. If going out for a second walk perhaps using a bit of fill flash would help. Dial it down to -3 or as low as possible so it just adds a bit of fill and a catch light to the eyes to make them look alive. Not meaning to be harsh, just offering some suggestions to improve them since you've posted them here in the critique section.
Regards
Greg