Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2011, 06:28 AM   #1

Reflections
Lens: D FA-100 Camera: K20D ISO: 200 

The other day I was a bit bored and decided to try some shots that are outside of my regular style of shooting. Set up a black cloth, threw down a mirror on the floor and set up a couple of strobes....

Maybe it's because these are different from the typical shots I like to take, but I'm having a difficult time deciding what I think about them..... Kinda like 'em, kinda think they are just so-so, not really sure......

What do you think? Helpful constructive criticism is always appreciated and helps me improve -

10-21-2011, 06:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very cool..................I need to try this setup
10-21-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Very nice, I like the peppers shot best. I would possibly try darkneing the reflections a bit in all the shots though.
10-21-2011, 12:25 PM   #4

Original Poster
Great suggestion - I'll try that.... Thanks!

10-21-2011, 07:58 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Very inspiring, I want to go and do this now!

I see bits of background in pics 1 & 2, maybe you can darken the BG a bit more, or just paint it out so that the photos contain absolutely nothing besides the object and it's reflection. The peppers are my favourite shot, but all are good and the puppy is very cute (maybe try a darkened reflection?). The lighting is excellent and they're all very sharp.
10-22-2011, 05:00 AM   #6
smf
Pentaxian

Bravo!
If it was my photo, I'd be tempted to clone out the small brown spot at lower right of the red pepper and its reflection.
I think these photos are marketable.
If you are willing to share details of your strobe set-up, I'd be appreciative.
Best wishes!
10-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Technically they are all great but I find the peppers most compelling for some reason. Maybe it the balance of the 3 and 3 but I love it.

Thanks,
joe

10-22-2011, 04:09 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DK77 Quote
Very inspiring, I want to go and do this now!

I see bits of background in pics 1 & 2, maybe you can darken the BG a bit more, or just paint it out so that the photos contain absolutely nothing besides the object and it's reflection. The peppers are my favourite shot, but all are good and the puppy is very cute (maybe try a darkened reflection?). The lighting is excellent and they're all very sharp.
Thanks for the helpful reply DK77 - I appreciate it much. That's the 2nd suggestion to darken the reflection - I haven't had the chance yet but I'm definitely going to give that a try to see the difference.

I have to admit though, the comments regarding bits of the background being visible? - I just don't see it. My monitor is calibrated and I've checked the images out on a 2nd monitor. I don't see anything but a black background. Could you please point those parts out? I'd like to fix them up. Maybe my 'ol eyes aren't as good as they used to be.......

Thanks again much for your helpful tips.....

CG
10-22-2011, 04:58 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by smf Quote
Bravo!
If it was my photo, I'd be tempted to clone out the small brown spot at lower right of the red pepper and its reflection.
I think these photos are marketable.
If you are willing to share details of your strobe set-up, I'd be appreciative.
Best wishes!
Thanks for the comment - appreciated. Great catch on the brown spot - you're right and I'll clean that up - very helpful.

The set up -

I set up a couple of background stands at minimum height (approx. 2 feet). Threw a black piece of cloth I had lying around onto the background stand. Put a 2.5 by 4 foot mirror on the floor. Shot the image with the K20D and the D-FA 100mm on tripod at same level (maybe slightly higher) than the subject. For lighting I initially used one flash head strobe (sunpak 383), at camera left and bounced toward the ceiling at full power, no diffuser. This lit things up nicely on the top of the subjects but I wanted a little more pop and light coming from the front, so I added a 2nd Sunpak flash diffused with a white shoot-thru umbrella positioned behind the camera, slightly right (just over my right shoulder). The 2nd strobe improved the lighting greatly IMO. Hope this helps and feel free to ask more questions if I wasn't clear....

CG
10-22-2011, 05:04 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joelovotti Quote
Technically they are all great but I find the peppers most compelling for some reason. Maybe it the balance of the 3 and 3 but I love it.

Thanks,
joe
Thanks for the kind comments Joe!
10-23-2011, 04:46 AM   #11
smf
Pentaxian

Thanks very much for the extensive, very helpful details on how you captured the excellent images.
Most respectfully,
Stu
10-23-2011, 08:15 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by camperguy01 Quote
Maybe it's because these are different from the typical shots I like to take, but I'm having a difficult time deciding what I think about them.....
I know what you mean. Outside my usual range too, so take this with a big grain o' salt.

For me the dog image is the pick of this set. It's a combination of the pose you've captured and its reflection, and the white-on-black theme that gives this portrait a surprising off-balance feel. Compelling image.

The peppers (I guess it's only Yanks and/or Canucks commenting so far!) are my second favorite. Just enough variation in the shapes and spacing, combined with the colors of course, to keep the eye interested. Still, I'd like to see some more surprising irregularity here -- there's potential for subtle wit with this kind of arrangement. As is it's just a bit too minimalist for my taste. But it's a beautiful rendering.
10-23-2011, 02:24 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by camperguy01 Quote
Thanks for the helpful reply DK77 - I appreciate it much. That's the 2nd suggestion to darken the reflection - I haven't had the chance yet but I'm definitely going to give that a try to see the difference.

I have to admit though, the comments regarding bits of the background being visible? - I just don't see it. My monitor is calibrated and I've checked the images out on a 2nd monitor. I don't see anything but a black background. Could you please point those parts out? I'd like to fix them up. Maybe my 'ol eyes aren't as good as they used to be.......

Thanks again much for your helpful tips.....

CG
It's faint, so it's easily possible that two monitors won't show it, nonetheless it's definitely there on my monitor (it disappears if I move my head down and becomes clear if I move my head up). I don't know how to point it out if your monitor doesn't show it anyway... but does your photo editing software have a way of showing blown highlights or lost shadows? In Lightroom, by clicking the arrows in the corner of the histogram you can highlight all the areas that are perfect black or white. That will show you which areas in the BG are NOT black, even if your monitor does not show it. I hope that helps.
10-23-2011, 10:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Tough to criticize, these are excellent pics. Well done!