Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2011, 02:06 PM   #1

Post war Sarajevo
Lens: Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 Camera: Pentax K20D Photo Location: Sarajevo ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/750s Aperture: F5.6 

10-23-2011, 07:32 AM   #2

Original Poster
Not worth giving any comment?
10-23-2011, 08:00 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Certainly worthy images. (I think Critique posts get fewer responses because of the effort required to articulate a meaningful critique, and because of a reluctance to criticize others' photos. Unfortunate, because I think the exchange of ideas here is equal in value to the myriad discussions of gear to be found just about everywhere else on the site. But I digress. )

It's an intriguing and witty subject -- old(er) men puzzling over an enormous chess board. #1 gives a nice sense of the scene, but compositionally is too miscellaneous for me -- I can't find the flow of this image. The figure at left gives an entry point but from there the eye wanders.

#2 has good subject isolation yet still captures the symbolism and wit of men on a chess board. Really great juxtaposition of expressions on the faces of the two at right. The white or very light-colored jacket worn by the figure at left is an unfortunate distraction (maybe were he wearing all white -- more chess symbolism -- it would be an addition rather than a distraction), as are the legs and paunch of the obscured figures. Might work better by cropping the left up to the nape of the neck of the guy in white.

TFS.
10-23-2011, 08:04 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I do like the first one quite a bit, but I could imagine this image being even better if you could take it from an elevated height, to eliminate the background clutter. The foreground is what matters in this case; the background is just a strange juxtaposition.
I'm lukewarm on the second. The lines are not as strong, but I do like the expressions on the men's faces.