Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2011, 07:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
First Yearbook/Photoshop Attempt
Lens: Sigma 70-200 2.8 Camera: K5 

First time really using CS5 for portrait retouching. I probably ended up with 30 layers and 4 hours worth of work. Someone who was good at this might have spent 30 minutes. I'll admit...it ain't perfect.
Lighting was 2 Flashpoint mono lights, one into a softbox the other into an umbrella. Both at 45's to the subject I only have a white background so I chose not to light it so I would get the grey color.

10-27-2011, 09:16 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I like the gray background and the pose was done well, especially with the composition.

The lighting is off. My eyes end up resting on her bright teeth instead of her eyes. The subjects eyes need to be much brighter to show off their color and be the main focal point. I do however like the catchlights. The light bouncing off the top of her head at the back is distracting. If there is no hair light try to avoid this, otherwise use a hair light and bring it forward.

I'm not a fan of smoothing the skin until all detail is gone. It looks too much like plastic and makes her nose disappear in her face. Leave some texture on the skin and use PP to remove blemishes, etc.

I hope that helps. Others may have differing opinions but find what you like and go with it.
10-27-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Teeth are too white and the face looks over done, but still better than I could do.
10-28-2011, 08:59 PM   #4

too much PP

10-29-2011, 05:03 AM   #5
Fer
Forum Member

Yes, I'm afraid I have to agree with each and every point builttospill made.

Portrait photography is not easy, it takes a while to get the hang of it (I still haven't)
02-13-2012, 09:43 PM   #6

i think the light you sent to her face wasn't enough. the left side of her face is just too dark... also, if you're ending up with 4 hours work and 30 layers (really????) for a shot like this, you're trying to do TOO much. there is no detail left in the skin on her fast and it looks like a few colours smeared over the top. what are you trying to mask on her? disfiguring acne scars?? i think a bit of honesty in a portrait goes a long way. also, the dark parts of the hair are too dark, there's no detail. again this comes back to lighting and exposure. your use of lighting is good, you just needed a bit more power!
02-13-2012, 11:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

I totally agree with everything that has been said here. Thirty layers and 4 hours ? What ? Are you trying to break a record ?

Lighting is not bad and the model looks nice and relaxed and comes across very natural. The image is much too dark which make the colours look dull. But the worse problem is; The nose has no contours, depth or shape, it is just a puff of skin colour. Don't get carried away with PP, keep it simple. In this sort of photography I think PP should be used to enhance an image and perhaps repair some small blemishes but not go so far as to totally change it.

Also it appears the sharpest part of the image is the lace vest.

Greetings
02-13-2012, 11:49 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by imaspy Quote
i think the light you sent to her face wasn't enough
I am not so sure, some simple brightening of the image shows the light not to be entirely wrong. I think it just got lost in the 30 layers and 4 hours of PP.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 09-16-2012 at 05:30 PM.
02-14-2012, 12:23 AM   #9

Well if anything the 4 hours you spent were good training, and you learned what not to do.
02-14-2012, 01:59 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Hi,

Some feedback :
Looks like the sharpest point of the portrait was her right shoulder - when it should have been her eyes. In regards to the photoshop, you've done a little too much blurring for her face. If the purpose was to hide scars/acne, then it should be done at maximum magnification, borrowing from healthy skin everytime. If the purpose was just to give a glamour glow, then it should be done barely. In fact, in a lot of glamour / model shots in makeup products photoshop artist usually put fake skin texture back on the skin, just to give the impression that it wasnt smoothed out much.

Dont worry, no amount of time spent on photoshop is time wasted - even if it was just for memorizing where all the buttons were for next time.
But anyway, usually for a normal portrait kind of shot - I would have the following layer, in order they would have showed up in Photoshop :

-A sharpening layer
- (Insert any plugins layer here)
- A shadow/highlight correction layer
- A Colour correction layer
- Imperfection correction layer (up to 3 layer for moderate amounts)
- Original layer

Hope this helps.
02-14-2012, 03:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The time wasted in PS was going back and forth from a tutorial vid from Aaron Nace. At the time, I never used PS before. I'll dig through my files for the SOOC. There were a lot of touch ups with the healing brush as she had a lot of acne.
02-22-2012, 12:51 AM   #12
Veteran Member

http://www.professionalphotography101.com/portrait_lighting/lighting_names.html
http://www.pixiq.com/article/narrow-and-broad-lighting

http://www.portraitlighting.net/patternsb.htm

Hi,
This is a photo that I was provoked (in a positive sense), to attach some links for better understanding of lighting in portrait photography. I see that quite a colleague tries to somehow suggest new ways (so far unsuccessfully) light, which is nothing weak in the experimental sense, but ...!
regards
02-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
Dont worry, no amount of time spent on photoshop is time wasted - even if it was just for memorizing where all the buttons were for next time.
But anyway, usually for a normal portrait kind of shot - I would have the following layer, in order they would have showed up in Photoshop :

-A sharpening layer
- (Insert any plugins layer here)
- A shadow/highlight correction layer
- A Colour correction layer
- Imperfection correction layer (up to 3 layer for moderate amounts)
- Original layer

Hope this helps.
This is a good flow and would be similar to what I would do. For the particular photo from the OP, this would be my flow (as if viewed from Layers Panel):

Layer 6 - Ctrl, Shift, Alt, + E to combine all visible layers. Select Filter, Unsharp Mask, and sharpen to taste.

Layer 5 - Curves layer mask, Screen mode, invert layer, paint with white at 15-20% opacity to brighten face, shadows.

Layer 4 - Curves layer mask for color correction. Change RGB channels as needed for good skin tone.

Layer 3 - Exposure layer mask to correct for underexposure

Layer 2 - Ctrl, shift + N for new layer. This is your Blemish Correction Layer (Note: Use the Clone Stamp, Lighten mode, 15% Opacity, Sample all layers, start sampling and painting. Switch on and off between Clone stamp and Spot healing brush as necessary. You shouldn't need more than one layer. Healing brush can be too heavy handed, only use when you need to fill in texture lost from the clone stamp).

Layer 1 - Original/Background Layer

Total of 6 layers and you can do this in about 10-15mins once you get familiar with Photoshop. Oh, and as long as you don't agonize about perfection (i.e. over processing).

Last edited by einstrigger; 02-23-2012 at 03:35 PM.
02-23-2012, 09:36 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I agree that the face looks a little too airbrushed, not a bad try.

Looks like you've got lots of great tips from the others.
02-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'd love to be able to put up the SOOC RAW image. I'd like to see the 10 minute retouch results. How can I do this?