Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2011, 01:06 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Muddy Waters
Lens: Pentax Da Camera: K5 Photo Location: Beaconsfiled Upper, Vic. ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1/10s Aperture: F13.5 

A normally small slow moving creek, now fast and muddy from recent rain.

Edit. I see it was my Sigma lens I used, my apologies.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
11-22-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Mychael,

My first thought was "I want to see more." Did you consider using a wider and / or lower angle? I'd prefer to see more of the bank to provide a static contrast to the flowing water.

Tim
11-23-2011, 12:47 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Tim, Short answer to be honest is no. The creek is boardered by a carpark on two sides, not very photogenic and higher up covered in blackberry. I'd basically gone down one side and had a foot in the water shooting the pic.
11-23-2011, 02:47 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Mychael,

Are you saying tarmac and weeds aren't your favorite subjects? I sort of suspected your setting was an oasis. In that case, I'm not sure what you could've done better. Maybe add a little exposure and contrast in PP?

I like the flow of the water. This shot was hand held, I gather? If so, I suppose a tripod would've made it easier - and maybe a bit sharper, too. But, I don't carry one with me at all times either.

If you like abstracts, another way to convey movement would be to zoom your lens during the exposure: Start at the wide end and zoom in toward the long end (or vice versa - I think it works both ways) while the shutter is open. I tried that recently on some autumn foliage with a 100-300mm lens and 1/30 was slow enough to get the zoom effect.

Tim

11-23-2011, 03:54 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I might have got away with a monopod which I own but did not have with me on the day, a tripod was out as I was down the side of the bank.. It was a handheld shot.
I've not had a go with zoom effect but you've reminded me to try it.