Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ornament
Lens: 55-300mm DA-L Camera: Pentax K-r ISO: 12800 Shutter Speed: 1/15s Aperture: F5.6 

This is the first picture I have taken with my K-r and with a DSLR camera. Just got it for Christmas yesterday and was hoping some of the folks here could give me a critique and help me improve! I was wondering how I could increase the D.O.F naturally rather than editing in a soft blur effect behind the ornament in the foreground, as well.

I don't know if this would be considered a macro or not, but I didn't know what other prefix to give it.

Attached Images

12-26-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jbuck92 Quote
This is the first picture I have taken with my K-r and with a DSLR camera. Just got it for Christmas yesterday and was hoping some of the folks here could give me a critique and help me improve! I was wondering how I could increase the D.O.F naturally rather than editing in a soft blur effect behind the ornament in the foreground, as well.

I don't know if this would be considered a macro or not, but I didn't know what other prefix to give it.
Welcome, and congratulations on the new camera!

Obviously you were dealing with low light here -- you have the ISO bumped well up, aperture open as wide or nearly as the lens will go, and quite a low shutter speed, especially for a longer focal length. For all that the image is pretty well exposed -- some highlights blown out, but with this subject that is appropriate, practically unavoidable to some degree. There is noticeable noise from the high ISO.

I take it you mean decrease the DOF. That's a function of aperture and subject distance. For shallow DOF you want to get close and you want a large aperture (i.e., small f-number). If your K-r also came with the DA 18-55 zoom lens, that would be a better lens for achieving this effect, because you can get closer and because the maximum minimum f-number is a little lower.

Clearly this is a shot calling for flash, to give you enough light to use a lower ISO setting and a higher shutter speed. It would need to be bounced off something (e.g., the ceiling) to avoid that harsh flat look one gets from direct on-camera flash, not to mention crazy highlights from this particular subject.

Keep shooting, keep asking questions. Have a blast!

Last edited by baro-nite; 12-28-2011 at 05:09 AM. Reason: minor correction
12-26-2011, 06:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Great thanks! I'll try to remake this shot since our Christmas tree is still up and play around with that a little bit! And yes, my kit did come with the 18-55mm as well so I'll try using that also. Thank you!
12-27-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Retook this picture with a much lower ISO. 18-55mm lens, 400 ISO, 1/30s and F4

Attached Images

12-28-2011, 05:15 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good job! Noise no longer noticeable; nice blurred background (FYI "bokeh" is a term often used for this -- as in, the 18-55 has pretty nice bokeh when wide open). Also, the off-center composition is much more attractive. The warmer colors are nice too. As you see, you get a different perspective with the shorter lens -- background objects become smaller as well as more blurred. In short, this is about a 5000% improvement.

You have a fine kit there -- enjoy getting to know it!
12-28-2011, 09:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you!
12-29-2011, 01:09 AM   #7
Brooke Meyer

Ask for tripod on Birthday.

A tripod will offer lots of new opportunities for next years tree. .

Attached Images

12-29-2011, 01:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
How so, Brooke Meyer? I haven't experimented at all yet with my tripod. My dad gave me an older one of his (I don't know the brand or anything about it, haven't used it at all yet!) but just haven't had a chance to try it out.
12-30-2011, 10:18 PM   #9
Brooke Meyer

Why use a tripod.

A tripod holds a camera very still so that accurate focus is maintained. It enables the use of slow shutter speeds and low ISO in low light for a better photograph than otherwise. It is also essential for Macros and long Telephoto lenses to maintain focus. You can also use slow shutter speeds with high apertures to choose how you wish to portray motion such as moving water.
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo   

Last edited by Brooke Meyer; 12-30-2011 at 11:02 PM.