Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2011, 07:07 PM   #1
Forum Member

Testing Lens and Style
Lens: Vivitar 75-205mm f3.8 Camera: Pentax K-x 

I just recently bought a Vivitar 75-205mm f3.8 and I'm loving it! It sure is heavy though. I walked around and tested the lens mainly wide open. I'm fairly new at PP and would love some criticism on my pictures both composition and PP wise.

12-31-2011, 04:52 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's always more difficult to critique photos when there's several, but I'll do my best.

I like the background in the first- the exposure was definitely good. IMO, it would have been better if the sun had more breathing room on the left, and also I would clone out the stray twigs near the right and top edges. Apart from that, very nice! Because of all the negative space and the position of the sun relative to the branch, I think that the square-ish format works here

The colors in the second are nice, but there's no real focal point, and the corners are a bit distorted.

The complementary colors in the third work well together, but the image seems a bit crooked, and I think a complete different crop would have been better. Either get rid of the top and/or the bottom, or show more of each. This might even work as a vertical because of the pipe.

Nice sharpness in the fourth, but if we're going to be documenting animals, their tails shouldn't be cut off Apart from that, the colors seem properly balanced and the position of the squirrel in the frame is fine.

As it is I don't care that much for the last shot, but I think it would have worked very well if you have the feeder a bit more breathing room below it, and cropped away the upper fourth of the photo. Also, the bokeh is making the bicycles in the background too much of a distraction, so I'd use the blur tool to alleviate that. If possible, I'd even show more to the left of the tree to improve the "flow" of the background.

Overall, this is a pretty solid series as-is, but with PP here and there it could be made even better!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: