Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-01-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Torrey Panoramic
Lens: Pentax DA 18-55mm Camera: K10D 

The wife and I are having a bit of a disagreement about this pic. I like it, and she says that it's a good photo, but it doesn't "say" anything.

All C&C welcome!

01-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I like it too, although I feel like I'm looking through a mail slot to see it. Perhaps a bit more sky?
01-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Understood. I took this photo without a tripod and stitched 7 pics together IIRC for the pano. I can see your point though. Thanks for the comment!
01-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
I like the photo too, but it definitely needs more vertical white space. Reshoot it again and hang it on your wall.

01-01-2012, 09:32 PM   #5

Like the panoramic "stitching", but agree with earlier posters--more sky/clouds will make it a winner!!!
01-02-2012, 04:09 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mr tibbs Quote
Understood. I took this photo without a tripod and stitched 7 pics together IIRC for the pano. I can see your point though. Thanks for the comment!
I can see How this can happen.
I do a lot of panorama stitching (well a fair few) and I think you took the photos in landscape format. I fell for this trick also in the beginning until I woke up and took all the shots in portrait mode. This gives you the extra height you need after stitching to trim all the distortions away.

Not wishing to hijack your post, I'll post a sample of one of my panos in a separate post. (Gee a lot of posts in this sentence).

I can live with the reduced sky because I know how much work goes into it.

Greetings
01-02-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
I can see How this can happen.
I do a lot of panorama stitching (well a fair few) and I think you took the photos in landscape format. I fell for this trick also in the beginning until I woke up and took all the shots in portrait mode. This gives you the extra height you need after stitching to trim all the distortions away.

Not wishing to hijack your post, I'll post a sample of one of my panos in a separate post. (Gee a lot of posts in this sentence).

I can live with the reduced sky because I know how much work goes into it.

Greetings
Wouldn't that mean more stitching?? That would take this from a 7 pic pano to a 12 pic pano or so. I understand the logic, I'm just not sure about the application. Next time I am in this area I will try this again using both portrait and landscape using a tripod and see what the results are.

How does the B&W conversion work for everyone??

01-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #8
Pentaxian

sorry, on this one I do have to agree with your wife. It is a good shot, but to me nothing more than that
01-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Agree with your wife. I lacks a central subject.
01-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mr tibbs Quote
Wouldn't that mean more stitching??
Yes of course but this is the price you pay for not owning the Pentax 645D (sigh).

The Saigon Pano I posted is going a bit on the ridicules side, agreed, but seven to ten images is quite manageable.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/170294-landscape-saigon-river-panorama.html

Greetings