Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2012, 10:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Red Riding Hood
Lens: Pentax-DA 35mm f/2.4 AL Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Northwich, UK ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F8 

Really not sure what to think of this. The shadows on the nuts annoy me, and her hair seems slightly confusing in a weird way. It's a doll made by my girlfriend (first attempt at making a clay doll) so do forgive the partially melted eyes and mildly wonky face.

Also, it was ISO 160, not 100, if anyone cares.

01-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #2

No offense to your girlfriend (an excellent first attempt) but that is terrifying. It's those eyes.

As for the shadows they could definitely use some fill, probably a white sheet of paper would be enough to fill them in some.

I agree with the hair, it kinda looks like the pine cones almost. Again, a little more lighting could probably have really drawn that out.

My question is what is the purpose of the picture? If you want to show off her doll I would think a slightly less busy background would help that. Also, what are the nuts for?

That's cool she made that, how long does something like that take?
01-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
The purpose of the picture was to have Red Riding Hood as a sort of 'character' in a scene of some kind. It's supposed to show the doll, but I didn't want it to just be a portrait kind of shot, I wanted it to be a bit odd and intriguing, like the doll. I just wasn't sure if it was too weird. Yeah I agree the hair really gets mixed up with the pine cones. And the nuts were supposed to be there for people to draw their own conclusions on. It'd be an empty space otherwise, and I think almonds are cool. But I should have moved them, though I could probably burn them up to a decent level.

It took a few days doing a little bit here and there, the clay takes about 15 mins to set in the oven (turns out the eyes start melting at a very low temperature) and then painting and varnishing probably takes the longest. She working on a Geisha themed one at the moment, and then she's hoping to make a Metropolis robot one.

Thanks for the critique! I'll take more care with the background and props next time
01-07-2012, 03:30 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
I wondered about the writing but then I saw your web address and realised that it is your logo. I would try out a less intrusive one.
I noticed from the shadows of the nuts that you provided light from both sides - I would experiment with that a bit more, maybe try one side only, slightly diffused to bring out a bit more character of the dolls face.
Now I am getting picky - the surface with the scratches and dust particles is distracting.