Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2012, 09:38 AM   #1

First "product shoot
Lens: DA 18 - 55 Camera: k-7 

So this is the first shots with my k-7. I love this thing. Real quick and crisp shutter snaps. A tad loud but it makes me laugh when I hear it.

01-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
First off, congratulations on your new K-7!
I like product photography, particularly that of photographic equipment
Have you considered exploring some angles with your 1st DS?
01-18-2012, 07:53 PM   #3

Original Poster
Not yet. Thinking about it. The photographs of the dl is something i've been wanting to do since I started thinking about upgrading. Exploring the k-7 wouldn't be a bad thought though. Thank you.
01-19-2012, 01:11 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

I have done a lot of product shots many many years ago. Mainly food for restaurants. (Film days). I used a light box for it.

May I offer some advice? A product shot should be all about the product and should be taken to bring out the best and most interesting features of the product. They must always be sharp, and I mean sharp. No room for artistic ideas and more often than not should be in focus from front to back, after all the image should show the product with all its details which are important for the potential purchaser. Indeed a product shot has to entice to buy, is it not?

In your images the camera strap is too prominent and kills the real reason for the shot, namely the camera. I guess you were trying to highlight the PENTAX logo on it. But there are other ways to place the logo. Black coloured objects are particularly troublesome to photograph and inventive lighting is important. Did I say the images should be sharp?

Greetings

01-23-2012, 10:26 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you for the advice. My second shots I have decided to go no strap and focus on the details of it. I cant do much for the lighting which is tough. It's a dark camera and doesn't reflect all that well. Thank you for the comments and I think it made my next set come out so much better.